CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Petco Nightmare (Cohabbing not so great)

Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #61
lampy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
I always thought there was an un-written rule here that you can't post miss information as a newb might see it an think it's o.k. Like if I said its O.K. to change the water every month as the don't drink much, or keep your temps at 65-70 and they're easier to catch.
So can't this pro-co-hab thing be relegated to the miss-information pile and people warned about persistently banging on that it fine. After all it has been said that experienced keepers have managed it, but some of the experienced newbs are calling it now and it gets boring.
After all snakes are cheap and the set up costs so if a new newb keeps reading that its possible how tempted are they to get that second snake
MIKE

You cant call it mis-information as you say yourself some experienced keepers do it and many do in the Uk at least, not many would argue that its positively beneficial for the snakes but they do say that they have had no problems either, as said previously its a matter of opinion I personally have a pair together but my hatchllings are seperate as I aknowledge the possible risk to them .And the anti co habbers bang on much more, you generally dont get the co habbers attacking non co habbers for their opinions

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #62
Sanebedlam
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampy View Post
You cant call it mis-information as you say yourself some experienced keepers do it and many do in the Uk at least, not many would argue that its positively beneficial for the snakes but they do say that they have had no problems either, as said previously its a matter of opinion I personally have a pair together but my hatchllings are seperate as I aknowledge the possible risk to them .And the anti co habbers bang on much more, you generally dont get the co habbers attacking non co habbers for their opinions
Cohabbers don't attack non-cohabbers because they have no ground to stand on. What would a cohabber attack me about? That I care to much about my snakes and spend the money to see that they have a proper home. However cohabbing does have risks that i have never hear properly refuted.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #63
Roy Munson
Quote:
...you generally dont get the co habbers attacking non co habbers for their opinions
Of course you don't. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. What are they going to attack, the fact that we non-cohabbers are keeping a solitary species in solitary conditions?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #64
snakewispera snr
Quote:
I can call it mis-information, when I know that a newb might read it and think they can get away with it.
Besides, I cannot see the need to do it, tell me one benefit you get from co-habiting, that I can't get keeping them alone. Because I can give you one benefit keeping them alone that you can't get.
MIKE

Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #65
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Of course you don't. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. What are they going to attack, the fact that we non-cohabbers are keeping a solitary species in solitary conditions?
Definitely a 'quote of the week' contender!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #66
lampy
What I meant is I may differ in my opinion over this or other issue but i generally wouldnt accuse anyone of not caring for or mistreating their snake for doing something that not everybody agrees is the best or only way to do a thing.

Plus the main point of what I said was that you cant call it mis-information as no one is saying its ideal nor claiming its the only way to do it, nor are we saying their may be no problems so were is the mis-information, its simply a differing opinion and as valid as any other here.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #67
snakewispera snr
I liken it to circus performers. That is to say. Before the high wire act takes place young and impressionable people are warned "these are experienced people.. don't try this at home"
It's the same here.
MIKE

Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #68
starsevol
Quote:
What I meant is I may differ in my opinion over this or other issue but i generally wouldnt accuse anyone of not caring for or mistreating their snake for doing something that not everybody agrees is the best or only way to do a thing.

Plus the main point of what I said was that you cant call it mis-information as no one is saying its ideal nor claiming its the only way to do it, nor are we saying their may be no problems so were is the mis-information, its simply a differing opinion and as valid as any other here.

See lampy, you do have a point. BUT many of us feel that since there are KNOWN risks in cohabbing, people who are aware of these risks yet continue to cohab, really DON'T care about the health and well being of their snakes. One of my snakes DIED as a result of being cohabbed. Anyone who knows snakes can die from it, yet continue to do it, really are not responsible pet owners IMO, and I will tell them so!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #69
snakewispera snr
Good answer, and my sentiments exactly... I would rep you but I have to spread it around first....LOL
MIKE

Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #70
Pretty1234me
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
See lampy, you do have a point. BUT many of us feel that since there are KNOWN risks in cohabbing, people who are aware of these risks yet continue to cohab, really DON'T care about the health and well being of their snakes. One of my snakes DIED as a result of being cohabbed. Anyone who knows snakes can die from it, yet continue to do it, really are not responsible pet owners IMO, and I will tell them so!
*light bulb moment here*. This was a point of view I didn't truly see till now. While I believe that I had some idea as to why people seem so aggravated about cohabitating, your comment helps me better understand why people react they way they do to those who practice cohabitating..(this doesn't mean that I agree with the way they react to cohabitators or that I believe that cohabitators don't care about their snakes)..but it helps put into perspective why. Thank you Starsevol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google