CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Petco Nightmare (Cohabbing not so great)

Old 12-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #71
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty1234me View Post
*light bulb moment here*. This was a point of view I didn't truly see till now. While I believe that I had some idea as to why people seem so aggravated about cohabitating, your comment helps me better understand why people react they way they do to those who practice cohabitating..(this doesn't mean that I agree with the way they react to cohabitators or that I believe that cohabitators don't care about their snakes)..but it helps put into perspective why. Thank you Starsevol
Anytime, Kai

Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #72
Jrgh17
Unfortunately, it can't be misinformation. While cohab is (again, in my personal opinion) unwise and detrimental to the snakes, it *CAN* be done successfully. So saying that you "can keep two snakes together" is technically correct. Is it a good idea? Evidence would suggest not. Should anyone do it? No. Can it be done? Yes.

While I see the point (and can definitely appreciate it), it can't be considered blatantly untrue.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #73
lampy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
I liken it to circus performers. That is to say. Before the high wire act takes place young and impressionable people are warned "these are experienced people.. don't try this at home"
It's the same here.
MIKE
Well thats fair enough, seems a good way to say it!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #74
bsr8129
why you go away and this thing blows up.

Since i seem to be the only one to step up here, i cohab my snakes, am I a newbie yes, did i read on here all about co-habing before i did it yes. I also talked to people outside this forum and who own reptile shops, and i dont mean petco, and they all said that you can house two corns together. While i cant say they are doing better or worse if they were not living together, i know this they are eating regularly, havnt eaten each other, and have more than enough space to move around. Do i not care about my snakes, NO, if you see the way my dogs live you know i care about animals.

Do i care if you value my opion not really, most have made it a point to bash and redicule any one who co-habs. This is a public forum so everyone has their own opions and has the right to say them, with every forum you go to there are always the fanatics that have to everyone follow their ways if not are bashed. Thats ok i can handle it. Hopefully we can all be adults( well the ones that actually are) and help those that actually have problems with their snakes even if they co-hab.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #75
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Risky husbandry should be pointed out, not accepted because we have to be all touchy-feely politically correct go diversity Care Bearsy.
I nominate this sentence for quote of the week

Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #76
miss_d_meanor
omg!!! thasshocking, we dont have many rep stores here but the ones we do have are sensible and all snakes regardless of size are housed seperatley

Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #77
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgh17 View Post
Unfortunately, it can't be misinformation. While cohab is (again, in my personal opinion) unwise and detrimental to the snakes, it *CAN* be done successfully. So saying that you "can keep two snakes together" is technically correct. Is it a good idea? Evidence would suggest not. Should anyone do it? No. Can it be done? Yes.

While I see the point (and can definitely appreciate it), it can't be considered blatantly untrue.

I keep reading people saying "Can it be done? Yes" And I think a newbie looks at that and says, well then Ill do it so I dont have to buy another tank, cause it can be done.

"It can be done successfully"

Can you explain to me how?

Lets say I wanted to cut back and get rid of a tank right now. What do I have to do to co-hab successfully and what are the exact steps to take to know when I sleep at night and wake in the am, those two snakes are going to both be there in the morning alive?

Cause all I see is "It can be done" but I dont see instructions on how.

This is just my opinion, but its irresponsible for anyone to post "It an be done successfully" without 1) detailed instructions on how to do it succesfully and a note or disclaimer that if someone indeed follows the instructions that may have worked for someone else, they can still wake in the morning to find two dead snakes.

I dont believe in it can be done. A broken clock is right two times a day, but its still broken.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #78
JustineNYC
And a snake who doesnt eat his brother, is still a cannibal.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #79
Pretty1234me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post
Hopefully we can all be adults (well the ones that actually are) and help those that actually have problems with their snakes even if they co-hab.

I think that that's the most important thing.

[But I'm sure that some may believe a cohabitating snakes problem (I.e not eating) could be due to stress from cohabitating, amongst other things;*deep breath* hennnnncccce, the subject would most likely flare up time and time again]

Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #80
Jrgh17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineNYC View Post
I keep reading people saying "Can it be done? Yes" And I think a newbie looks at that and says, well then Ill do it so I dont have to buy another tank, cause it can be done.

"It can be done successfully"

Can you explain to me how?

Lets say I wanted to cut back and get rid of a tank right now. What do I have to do to co-hab successfully and what are the exact steps to take to know when I sleep at night and wake in the am, those two snakes are going to both be there in the morning alive?

Cause all I see is "It can be done" but I dont see instructions on how.

This is just my opinion, but its irresponsible for anyone to post "It an be done successfully" without 1) detailed instructions on how to do it succesfully and a note or disclaimer that if someone indeed follows the instructions that may have worked for someone else, they can still wake in the morning to find two dead snakes.

I dont believe in it can be done. A broken clock is right two times a day, but its still broken.
Actually, Justine... if you read this entire thread, you would notice that I am very "anti-cohab". When I'm saying that it can be done successfully, I'm citing that there are people who keep multiple snakes together and have it work out. I'm not going to advise ANYONE to do it, or ever suggest to a newbie that it is okay. I will never give anyone instructions to cohab their snake.

If anyone decides to cohab, they are taking a risk. I'm not going to instruct them how to cohab. However, I am a fair person. I acknowledge that some people do cohab snakes without problems. This is BY FAR the exception rather than the rule - but that doesn't mean we can completely ignore it.

It's not irresponsible. It's being honest.

You *can* keep a snake without any extra heat source. In fact, I have a few without heat right now. I'm waiting on my rack, and the heat that's coming with it. To compensate, I keep those snakes in a warmer part of my house, and have been feeding smaller (yet slightly more frequent) meals. I do it. Would I recommend it to a newbie? NO. I have done several things to lessen the chances of having problems. I won't go into them here, but I am carefully monitoring the situation.

In short, that is why THIS page exists. Notice there is a long section from Kathy Love about both cohab and going against the recommended norm. It has been done. I'm not going to lie to someone and say that it can never be done successfully. I will tell someone that it is not a good idea and they will probably not be able to do it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google