CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Petco Nightmare (Cohabbing not so great)

Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #81
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgh17 View Post
Actually, Justine... if you read this entire thread, you would notice that I am very "anti-cohab". When I'm saying that it can be done successfully, I'm citing that there are people who keep multiple snakes together and have it work out. I'm not going to advise ANYONE to do it, or ever suggest to a newbie that it is okay. I will never give anyone instructions to cohab their snake.

If anyone decides to cohab, they are taking a risk. I'm not going to instruct them how to cohab. However, I am a fair person. I acknowledge that some people do cohab snakes without problems. This is BY FAR the exception rather than the rule - but that doesn't mean we can completely ignore it.

It's not irresponsible. It's being honest.

You *can* keep a snake without any extra heat source. In fact, I have a few without heat right now. I'm waiting on my rack, and the heat that's coming with it. To compensate, I keep those snakes in a warmer part of my house, and have been feeding smaller (yet slightly more frequent) meals. I do it. Would I recommend it to a newbie? NO. I have done several things to lessen the chances of having problems. I won't go into them here, but I am carefully monitoring the situation.

In short, that is why THIS page exists. Notice there is a long section from Kathy Love about both cohab and going against the recommended norm. It has been done. I'm not going to lie to someone and say that it can never be done successfully. I will tell someone that it is not a good idea and they will probably not be able to do it.
I did read the entire thread and I know your anti cohab. You did mention 'it can be done' though, and Im asking how.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #82
Jrgh17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineNYC View Post
I did read the entire thread and I know your anti cohab. You did mention 'it can be done' though, and Im asking how.
I'll PM you. I'm not going to give some newbie instructions on how to do it so they'll think their snakes will be okay.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #83
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgh17 View Post
I'll PM you. I'm not going to give some newbie instructions on how to do it so they'll think their snakes will be okay.
Ah see. That was my point. You wont "give a newbie instructions on how to do it so theyll think their snakes will be Ok" but its alright to say

"Can it be done? Yes"

"Has it been done? Yes" with absolutely NO instructions on how to do it correctly.

Its the same thing bud, but at least with instructions, their better equipt.

BTW, I am not going to co-hab, was just making a point

Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #84
Jrgh17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineNYC View Post
Ah see. That was my point. You wont "give a newbie instructions on how to do it so theyll think their snakes will be Ok" but its alright to say

"Can it be done? Yes"

"Has it been done? Yes" with absolutely NO instructions on how to do it correctly.

Its the same thing bud, but at least with instructions, their better equipt.

BTW, I am not going to co-hab, was just making a point
I get the point. But that doesn't change my position. I am not going to lie and say it has never been done without problems. I'm also not going to encourage anyone to cohab by providing instructions. If they want to know how to cohab, there's an FAQ which I already linked to.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #85
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post
why you go away and this thing blows up.

Since i seem to be the only one to step up here, i cohab my snakes, am I a newbie yes, did i read on here all about co-habing before i did it yes. I also talked to people outside this forum and who own reptile shops, and i dont mean petco, and they all said that you can house two corns together.
And we KNOW that these pet store staff members NEVER exaggerate their expertise, particularly to those who know very little. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard "reptile shop" staff telling people. A newbie cannot do it safely, and even the most experienced corn keeper can't house hatchlings together without serious risk. Do they do it anyway? Sure! People do lots of risky things.

Quote:
While i cant say they are doing better or worse if they were not living together, i know this they are eating regularly, havnt eaten each other, and have more than enough space to move around. Do i not care about my snakes, NO, if you see the way my dogs live you know i care about animals.
Are you saying that YOURS are eating regularly? What does that mean? You now have TWO successful feedings that comprise your entire corn-feeding experience? Why DO you cohab? Who/what does it benefit?

Quote:
Do i care if you value my opion not really, most have made it a point to bash and redicule any one who co-habs. This is a public forum so everyone has their own opions and has the right to say them, with every forum you go to there are always the fanatics that have to everyone follow their ways if not are bashed. Thats ok i can handle it. Hopefully we can all be adults( well the ones that actually are) and help those that actually have problems with their snakes even if they co-hab.
Hah! "Hopefully we can all be adults..."? I'm having trouble finding the maturity in your first post in this thread:

Quote:
WOW that makes me wonder.......................oh wait i dont care and ill keep co habing mine.
Maybe you consider thumbing your nose at explicit evidence to be adult behavior, but I don't. Your initial post was trollish, and I don't think there's any other way to interpret it. You elicited a certain type of reply, and that's what you got.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #86
starsevol
Ah Dean, I so wish I could rep you!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #87
ZoologyMajor
1) pet stores cohab because it is all about profit and space.

2) cohab can be done but it doesn't mean it should be

3) No matter how lovable they are corns are still wild animals. Wild animals should never be taken for granted no matter how nice they are. They are going to do what instinct and personality compels them to do. Failure to realize this can result in incidents like that of a certain Vegas magician and tiger. But instead of you getting hurt it will be the other snake.

4) Anyone who has ever done any research on snakes would know that most snake species live solitary lives and come together only for mating.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #88
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyMajor View Post
1) pet stores cohab because it is all about profit and space.

2) cohab can be done but it doesn't mean it should be

3) No matter how lovable they are corns are still wild animals. Wild animals should never be taken for granted no matter how nice they are. They are going to do what instinct and personality compels them to do. Failure to realize this can result in incidents like that of a certain Vegas magician and tiger. But instead of you getting hurt it will be the other snake.

4) Anyone who has ever done any research on snakes would know that most snake species live solitary lives and come together only for mating.
BINGO!!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #89
bsr8129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
And we KNOW that these pet store staff members NEVER exaggerate their expertise, particularly to those who know very little. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard "reptile shop" staff telling people. A newbie cannot do it safely, and even the most experienced corn keeper can't house hatchlings together without serious risk. Do they do it anyway? Sure! People do lots of risky things.

Are you saying that YOURS are eating regularly? What does that mean? You now have TWO successful feedings that comprise your entire corn-feeding experience? Why DO you cohab? Who/what does it benefit?

Hah! "Hopefully we can all be adults..."? I'm having trouble finding the maturity in your first post in this thread:

Maybe you consider thumbing your nose at explicit evidence to be adult behavior, but I don't. Your initial post was trollish, and I don't think there's any other way to interpret it. You elicited a certain type of reply, and that's what you got.

Actually Its 3 feedings, who is it benifiting, well no one, who is it hurting, well according to you my snakes, but since you do not know my snakes nor have you seen them I'd say that they are not hurting. If you want to say that they are with out seeing them or anything i guess you can make that assumption.

My intial post was not trollish, funny how damn near ever topic started about co-hab is by anti co-habs, yea you want to make your point how its not wise and the dangers of it. But I am not seeing to many topics of two snakes living fine together, which does happen its just that we dont need to thumb our noses at the anti-cohabs that it can be done. Maybe thats what i should start to do, Ill take a picture every month of my happy snakes living together so that every one can see that it is possible.

about being adults i'm hoping that outside this tread if a question comes of a problem some one is having, hey maybe it will be me one day, that we can answer the question and not be bitter that someone opposes your view.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #90
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post
Maybe thats what i should start to do, Ill take a picture every month of my happy snakes living together so that every one can see that it is possible.
  1. Exactly how do you believe this will persuade those who oppose your view in what is the "religious debate" in this hobby? This has as much sense as Planned Parenthood deciding to upload a clip on YouTube of a safe, legal abortion.
  2. Please provide objective proof of your snake's emotional state, i.e., "happiness".
  3. Everyone here already knows that it's "possible". Most people who have earned a modicum of respect and "cred" advise against it.
regards,
jazz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google