CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Building your own rack system

Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 AM   #1
CAV
Lightbulb Building your own rack system

After several emails requesting information on my rack, uh rack system , I decided that the easiest thing would be to start a new thread. I'll try to be concise.

I build my racks out of wood. They are much heavier that plastic racks, but are much more durable. You can pick any type of wood and stain that will match existing furniture. The one pictured here is made of oak and stained in a cherry color. Everything you need may be purchased at your local home improvement center.

A basic rack can be build with the following materials:
1) 2 sheets (4'x8') of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood
2) 1"x2" solid oak trim, enough to wrap the front
3) 1 sheet (4'x4') of 1/4" pegboard for backing
4) 20' of 4" Flexwatt heat tape
5) stain and sealer of your choice

Total cost: Under $200

You will also need to purchase a thermostat for proper heat, if you don't already have one.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:38 AM   #2
Khaman
Dwight Good has an excellent "Do It Yourself Page" that describes how to build multiple size racks for your snake I am in the process of building two racks myself using his plans (slightly modified).

http://www.kingsnake.com/obsoleta/projects.htm

Old 05-21-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
CAV
24 sweater boxes or 12 blanket boxes

This design allows the tubs to grow with your snakes. If you use Rubbermaid it is #2220 and #2221 and Sterilite it is 12 qt and 28 qt. With both makers the tubs are the same height, and the larger tubs are twice the length. This means that 2 smaller tubs setting side-by-side occupies the same space one large one.

The directions for making arack system are basically identical for every possible design. In order to preserve my sanity and not bore everyone with exquisite details, direction may be found on several webpages, as are the wiring instructions for the Flexwatt tape.

Basically, you can build a system that is as big or as small as you want to make it. Each is fully customizable. The unit here is 40"H x 50"L x 20"D. I added rope lighting wired to a switch as a finishing touch. (This is not required and is just a personal preference.)

Here is a closer view of one of the shelves. (If you look closely you can see one of my favorite Butter Motleys )

Old 05-21-2003, 12:55 AM   #4
CAV
Thermostat and light switch

I use a helix unit on each rack.

Old 05-21-2003, 01:03 AM   #5
CAV
For the "less than Handyman/Handylady"

If you aren't a "do-it-yourselfer" or are on a shoestring herp budget, here is another model that is simple and cheap. Entire cost: $85 with heat tape.

I am in the process of building another furniture grade set-up but needed additional space pronto. (Picked up 4 more snakes this weekend and have two more on the way from Bill @ Blue Ribbon) I built this quickie rack in under 2 hours on Sunday.

In this pic you can see the two tub sizes side-by-side.

Old 05-21-2003, 01:10 AM   #6
CAV
Smile That's all there is to it!

If anyone has a question or needs more info, drop me an email.

Live in or around Texas and are interested in a system? Give me a shout. I'll be happy to work up something for you.

Rich, if these pics are too big let me know and I'll fix. Here is one last view:

Old 05-21-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
CAV
Khaman,

Thanks for the link. I was going to paste it in, but realized it was saved on another computer. How did your project turn out?

Old 05-21-2003, 01:30 AM   #8
CowBoyWay
Thumbs up Real clean "furniture grade" set-up...Very Nice...

Quote:
For the "less than Handyman/Handylady"
That rack is a very practical,simple and inexpensive, minimal tools required design, just about anybody could build that. It just doesn't get any easier.

A few hopefully relative links...
http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.html
http://www.kingsnake.com/obsoleta/flexwatt.htm

Proportional thermostats like the helix are great, but are somewhat expensive. Probably worth every penny one pays in the long run.
A proportional thermostat is much like a rheostat with a feedback system.
The thermostat continuously monitors the temperature and makes slight adjustments in the electrical current to the heater.
In this type, the heat is always on, but only at the level necessary to maintain the set temperature.
Proportional thermostats eliminate the fluctuations caused by the on/off cycle of conventional-type
( Non-proportinal ) thermostats and provide a continuous warmth from the heat source.
http://helixcontrols.com/default.htm

Rubbermaid Clear Storage Box..
"Clear with white lids."
No. 2220: 3 gallon, 16" x 11" x 6"
No. 2221: 7 gallon, 23.01" x 16.75" x 6"

Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 AM   #9
Khaman
Still going I soon realized that I could not do it myself so I enlisted my wife's help. Well we finished with the wood we had and I still have room to add two more shelves so it is back to Home Depot this weekend and maybe Target will have more containers, I bought them out on the 27qt sterilities #1956.

Anybody know of an online source for commonly used container sizes?

Old 05-21-2003, 01:39 AM   #10
CAV
I know the feeling. I wiped out three Wal-Marts in two cities. My favorite quote was "You sure do have a bunch of sweaters for Texas."

Have you started putting vent holes in the sides yet? THAT IS NOT A FUN TASK!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google