CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Live or F/T?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #21
TWGarland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Dave View Post
You can easily reproduce that effect. Dangling the prey item and waving it around can easily stimulate a strike and constrict response, which will use practically the same amount of energy as if it were live prey (you can play tug-of-war to help, LOL).
I've teased my snake to eat loads of times by wiggling etc. it works a treat!

I wouldn't recommened any tug-of-war games though, i'd be too scared of damaging my snakes teeth, which could then lead to mouth rot. I just leave the mouse alone after my snake has gone for it.

I mean i'm sure a mouse struggles when fed alive, but i'm alot stronger than any mouse thats why i don't do it. Similar to why you should try not to flinch and pull away when a snake bites you, so not to damage the teeth/mouth.

All the best

Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #22
FunkyRes
Quote:
You can easily reproduce that effect. Dangling the prey item and waving it around can easily stimulate a strike and constrict response, which will use practically the same amount of energy as if it were live prey (you can play tug-of-war to help, LOL).
Please read my initial post.
I am doing exactly that for the snakes that do behave that way.

Some of mine are too smart for that and will only play tug-o-war w/o constricting (they grab it, and seem to figure out it is already dead) and some will not take prey if I am holding it (even with tongs).

Not all snakes behave the same way.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #23
JanuaryLove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Noob View Post
I'm trying to figure out why you asked if you weren't going to change your mind with what you were doing anyway...or were you just finding out how (un)popular it was?
First off, I never said I will never change my mind. I asked because I wanted to know everthing there is to know. That way, I can make a good decision bosed on all the facts. I want to say thanks to all those that had helped me out on this matter and to those that likes to make assumptions. Thanks

Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #24
JanuaryLove
I have fed frozen thaw and all mine didn't constrict. The funny thing is they just open their mouth and gulp it down; unless I dangle it. I do think F/T is the best way to go, but I do have another concern/question. When you thaw your mice out does it get mushy and skin breaks off easily? I had some that guts would just come out the side of its belly. Do you think those are the ones that has been frozen too long? Am I defrsting it them wrong? This is what I do...I put each mice in it's own zip log bag and defrost it in a cup of warm water(changed when cooled).

Now my other question is...some of you said to use co2. So, should I use CO2 or F/T? I have a total of 9 snakes. Do you think CO2 is cheap enough to use once a week? The more I think about it...the more I think I should just go back to frozen. How about I just frozen them myself? I also did that for awhile, but don't like the fact that I'm freezing them. I just want my babies to have the best. Thanks again guy/gals for all your help!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #25
Corny Noob
*shrugs*You said you thought live was better for them,sorry for jumping to conclusions but that leads us to believe that you would stick with what is 'better'.
FT/live is a very heated subject for us, and since it puts the snake in the line of sharp, painful, and potentially fatal harm, we're very adiment about our ways.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #26
Corny Noob
[quote=JanuaryLove;644593]When you thaw your mice out does it get mushy and skin breaks off easily? I had some that guts would just come out the side of its belly. Do you think those are the ones that has been frozen too long? Am I defrsting it them wrong? This is what I do...I put each mice in it's own zip log bag and defrost it in a cup of warm water(changed when cooled).

QUOTE]

The only time thats ever happened to me is when I heated a pinky up for too long in too hot of water and it went goosh when I squeezed it to see if it was thawed all the way, oops

Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #27
Flagg
Never freeze live mice. That's a horrible, inhumane death.

CO2 could be done weekly fairly cheap, but there is an initial cost for the tank , etc. Make a small chamber and you won't use much CO2. This is really only feasible if you breed your own mice, as buying them live is a hassle and can get quite expensive.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #28
Snake Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWGarland View Post
I wouldn't recommened any tug-of-war games though, i'd be too scared of damaging my snakes teeth, which could then lead to mouth rot. I just leave the mouse alone after my snake has gone for it.

I mean i'm sure a mouse struggles when fed alive, but i'm alot stronger than any mouse thats why i don't do it. Similar to why you should try not to flinch and pull away when a snake bites you, so not to damage the teeth/mouth.
Tom, when I say tug-of-war, I hope you don't think I pull with all my might... LOL. I just wiggle it a bit with the forceps, honestly, that wouldn't cause any damage whatsoever... I would have thought that you thought more of me than that, guess I was wrong

Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #29
TWGarland
Quote:
Tom, when I say tug-of-war, I hope you don't think I pull with all my might... LOL. I just wiggle it a bit with the forceps, honestly, that wouldn't cause any damage whatsoever... I would have thought that you thought more of me than that, guess I was wrong
Well you did just give me a very funny visual of you digging you heels in, leaning back etc. with a teeny tiny snake on the end of your tongs!

I mainly posted for others benefit, i know you know your stuff man , but for those who don't, tug-of-war doesn't sound gentle! , and just a little too much wiggling could do damage, it can only take a tooth or two being damaged/pulled to sometimes lead onto mouth rot/infection.

All the best

Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
JanuaryLove
One more question...If I order Frozen from a supplier would they tell you how long the mice has been frozen? I figure it'll be cheaper this way since gas is going up and pet stores never know how long they have had there mice in the freezer. Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google