CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Live or F/T?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
v_various
I wouldn't worry too much about mice being over frozen. If it looks freezer burnt, then it's been frozen too long. If not, well, then it's no worse than any frozen thing you've ever eaten and it not harmful in any way to your animal.

I've eaten frozen things all my life, and I'm fine! Plus, as it's been mentioned before, there are more examples than I could list of snakes living a rich full life on f/t. I can't say I've ever heard of an animal being injured from eating something that has been freezer burnt (heck, I think I've done it. I eat food bachelor style)

Don't worry about it, basically. Don't feed your snake anything that looks "off" and he'll be fine. If you're worried about a supplier sending you bad stuff you can always check him out on the BOI.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #32
JanuaryLove
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_various View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about mice being over frozen. If it looks freezer burnt, then it's been frozen too long. If not, well, then it's no worse than any frozen thing you've ever eaten and it not harmful in any way to your animal.

I've eaten frozen things all my life, and I'm fine! Plus, as it's been mentioned before, there are more examples than I could list of snakes living a rich full life on f/t. I can't say I've ever heard of an animal being injured from eating something that has been freezer burnt (heck, I think I've done it. I eat food bachelor style)

Don't worry about it, basically. Don't feed your snake anything that looks "off" and he'll be fine. If you're worried about a supplier sending you bad stuff you can always check him out on the BOI.
Thanks so much

Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #33
Flagg
I think the better feeder vendors will claim that they are killed and frozen AFTER you place the order, which is why they always allow for a bit of lead time before they are shipped out.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #34
Susielea
I think the big suppliers have probably got such a high turnover, that their mice will not be frozen for very long before shipping.

I feed all mine f/t and they all constrict (I do offer from forceps though, so maybe that makes a difference), I also handle them a couple of times a week, which I believe helps with muscle tone.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #35
Coty
"One more question...If I order Frozen from a supplier would they tell you how long the mice has been frozen? I figure it'll be cheaper this way since gas is going up and pet stores never know how long they have had there mice in the freezer. Thanks everyone for your help so far!"

The impression that I got from the service where I ordered was that they try to keep as few frozen as possible in the interest of efficiency/economy. That is also why it may take a little bit longer for a reputable service (I have seen rodentpro and The Mouse Factory both recommended in these forums) to process your order, in that they aren't necessarily just grabbing it out of the freezer and shipping it right out (my first and only order took much longer than I expected, but from what I can tell it was good quality).

Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #36
ILOVECORNSNAKES
I was told that frozen have less nutrients. Is this true?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #37
v_various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVECORNSNAKES View Post
I was told that frozen have less nutrients. Is this true?
I haven't read any studies, but isn't there enough anecdotal evidence of corns living long, full lives on f/t to consider it non-issue? That is debatable, of course, but for me knowing so many snakes having lived long lives on f/t vs the one's I've seen with serious injuries due to live feeding (at the two local reptiles rescues), I don't even consider it worth looking into.

Considering the mice my corns are eating have not been processed in anyway, or pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, or preservatives, I'm kind of jealous they eat so much better than me ;_;

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #38
JanuaryLove
Yes, I have made up my mind and will start feeding frozen thaw again. Will it be ok to feed live once every long while? Maybe once a month for them to have some fun and excitment?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #39
v_various
well, considering most of us have stated the facts already, that last question is in the realm of opinion. There are people who feed nothing but live, there are people who feed f/t only. The best thing you can do is access the facts and risks, then make an informed decision.

If you're looking for opinion, personally I wouldn't. I don't think there's any point, I don't think animals "enjoy" killing, I think they enjoy eating, and I don't like the risk. But again, just my observations and you're going to have to decide for yourself.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #40
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryLove View Post
Yes, I have made up my mind and will start feeding frozen thaw again. Will it be ok to feed live once every long while? Maybe once a month for them to have some fun and excitment?
The fun and excitement of risking an eye bitten out?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google