CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Live or F/T?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #71
JanuaryLove
Honestly, I'd rather be frozen to death...than beat to death. If you didn't kill it the first beating and have to do it over and over again...I'd rather be frozen to death. I don't think there is any "real" way of easy death. I think it all depend on the person... This is a real Controversial topic to get into. There isn't a right or wrong...just a matter of prefernce. I hope no one takes offence to this...

Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #72
snakewispera snr
If there is a choice on how to die I choose, caught and shot in the back by a jealous spouse when I'm ninty

Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #73
alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
If there is a choice on how to die I choose, caught and shot in the back by a jealous spouse when I'm ninty
Cool, I choose rock climbing accident at age 101.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #74
alan
Man, the above poster is an idiot.
I fed my snake live for about 2 years, that's how got her. I changed to F/K and she has no problems with it.
I had an incident where she did get a bad grip and the mouse bit her. No bad effects, just a few drops of blood squeezed out of her side. It was a bite and could have been worse. Nothing I could do.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #75
Roy Munson
I don't make these comments to support or refute anyone. I fed live lab mice exclusively to a decent-sized group of snakes (mostly corns) for many years without incident. I don't recommend it-- I'm just relating my experience. I currently own a hypo-tangerine Honduran milk and an African house snake that will not accept f/t. I've successfully converted many snakes from live to f/t over the years, but these two resist all the tricks. Neither will accept stunned prey either. In fact, they will sometimes kill a prey item, then become disinterested afterward because it's no longer moving. This isn't because they aren't hungry-- if you throw another live one in, they'll usually constrict and eat it. I really have no choice with these two.

And speaking of stunning prey, many herpers do this, but is there a humane method? I can't think of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr
After all I don't believe everyone knows everything about snakes not even Kathy Love, Roy Munson none of them...
I don't know why my name is even mentioned here in the same sentence as Kathy's. Kathy forgot more about snakes this morning at breakfast than I'll ever know...

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #76
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Cool, I choose rock climbing accident at age 101.
If there's a queue to meet the grim reaper I guess I'll be in the long one then.... LOL

Old 06-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #77
FunkyRes
This is getting silly.
Kathy love never stated that bigger caging made up for lack of constriction. She did state that she tries to get them to constrict the f/t prey, and I also stated that I am doing the same for females that are willing to do so.

Keep your snakes the way you want to keep them and feed them the way you want to feed them.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #78
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyRes View Post
Is there a risk? Sure, but there is also a benefit. A snake gets more exercise and more muscle tone when it has to hunt down and constrict its prey.
I really have to disagree with you on this, this is an actually silly comment. I mean dead honest silly, how much exercise can a snake get in a tub hunting down a mouse? Really.
Have you tried alternative methods as swimming in your bath tub?

Quote:
This is getting silly.
Kathy love never stated that bigger caging made up for lack of constriction. She did state that she tries to get them to constrict the f/t prey, and I also stated that I am doing the same for females that are willing to do so.

Keep your snakes the way you want to keep them and feed them the way you want to feed them.
But the problem with you, is you haven't given any scientific information as to why feeding live is better for your animals. Please give us some supportive information why its better, please. But all you have given is opinions. I have actually worked with animals that are wild caught and captive bred that don't constrict and they are equivalent in strength, in my eyes. but then again, I do not have a gauge to test their strength and neither do you.

My problem with feeding live animals is that still the animal is going to get harmed even from a stunned mouse. I had a MBK that refused to eat F/T and she was constantly getting nicked by the mice. She had a few scars that eventually are gone due to healing. But I was really happy the day she decided to go to Frozen.

Quote:
I also bet that a lot of very experienced "big name" herpers make use of live who just don't speak up about it because they've rather not be told that they are bad people for doing so.
Now its devil's advocate time.
Well I know a Ball Python breeder who does swear to use only live but he is different and I doubt you are in his league as well. He has over 1000 animals at any one time. And he feeds live only. The reason is an economic one. It is actually cheaper to feed live than it is frozen for him. When you feed 400 snakes and only 250 decide to eat that night well guess what, you have wasted 150 Rodents.

But his setup is much different than the average keeper. He uses hides that have the holes on top. This way the animal will come from the top of the hide. Mice typically when released in a cage will run into the first hiding place they can find. Same hole as the snake. They will not go to the hides that have the hole on top. Instead they hide behind it. This way the rodent doesn't hide with snake and it doesn't come to harm later on down the line.

This guy has been in the industry for over 35 plus years. I am sure Kathy and Rich both know this man if I said his name. But there is no need to.
Cause typically most of us are not near his league. I personally keep over 50 some animals here ranging from a little hog nose to larger snakes.
Even with my numbers I have no need to feed live. I convert to Frozen, and if you really want to strengthen your corns, why not let them swim in the bath tub? I am sure they will get their exercise and are not harmed by teeth in the long run. I have sat here and disagreed with everything you said.

Plus if you are going to quote some scientific documents please do so and let us read that. But I have call BS here.
I am surprised people here had glossed over and not commented on the Corn snake injured due to being attacked by a mouse. But then again, I gave good hard evidence and but you have only given hear-say.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #79
FunkyRes
Quote:
But the problem with you, is you haven't given any scientific information as to why feeding live is better for your animals.
I was in the crowd that believed f/t should be exclusive until I had a case of egg binding and started looking for ways to decrease the liklihood of it happening again.

While I don't know of a way to quantitatively measure a snakes strength, there is a noticeable strength difference between my snakes that eat live only and my snakes that eat f/t. If you know of a way to scientifically measure muscle tone without killing the snake and dissecting it, I'm all ears.

Yes - a larger tub can increase their muscle tone as well, but it is not mutually exclusive. Wild snakes are stronger than captive, so it seems rather clear that no husbandry method is going to max out the muscle tone a captive snake can achieve, there is room for improvement.

The incidents of a mouse (note the word mouse) seriously harming a snake that wants to feed upon it is extremely rare, many keepers of large volumes of snakes have never had an incident.

Larger tubs, handling, etc. can all contribute to increased muscle tone - feeding live should not be done as a substitute for them, but I believe it can and does contribute to increased muscle tone above and beyond what can be achieved by those methods alone, based upon the strength of my live feeders in my collection vs f/t feeders.

Snakes I have that only eat live:

Male Cal King, WC as adult in 2000 - strongest king I have (though not as strong as when collected)
Female Cal King, history unknown but probably CB
Female Mexican Black King, captive bred
Female Pac Gopher, WC as adult in 2007 - she sometimes takes f/t when dangled, but more often than not, leaves them after constriction uneaten.
WC Pac Gopher, WC as neonate in 2008 - he took f/t initially, however, after a few meals he regurged one and never took a f/t again. He pounds live though. I do keep trying to entice him to take f/t, rats are a more appropriately sized meal for a large gopher, so I want him switched before he hits the 5 or 6 foot size.
Hypo het Lavender Corn - received as a known non feeder, accepts live, refused f/t. I have two of her siblings which also started as live only feeders but made the switch. The one that refuses f/t every time I try is noticeably stronger than her siblings.

I'm sure that does not qualify as "scientific" data - but really, I'm interested in what is best for my snakes. So given the lack of ability to collect what would pass scientific scrutiny, my "non scientific" observations are best I have to go on - along with my years of problem free experience feeding live exclusively.

The reader of this thread can read the positions presented and decide what they feel is best for their own husbandry, and for any reader who does not breed, I highly highly recommend f/t. If you do breed, I highly highly recommend that you try to get your female to constrict f/t before resorting to live. If they get lazy and figure out f/t is already dead and does not need constriction, then it very well may save your snakes life during egg laying to feed live mice under close supervision. That's all I have to say.

For those reading this thread - please note that those calling for "scientific" evidence have provided no scientific evidence of their own that their methods provide the muscle tone to reduce egg binding effectively enough that allowing constriction is of no benefit to muscle tone.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #80
FunkyRes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryLove View Post
Honestly, I'd rather be frozen to death...than beat to death. If you didn't kill it the first beating and have to do it over and over again...I'd rather be frozen to death. I don't think there is any "real" way of easy death. I think it all depend on the person... This is a real Controversial topic to get into. There isn't a right or wrong...just a matter of prefernce. I hope no one takes offence to this...
There are two proper ways to kill a mouse.
CO2 chamber and there is a quick and effective way to break their neck.
When a warm blooded animal freezes to death, it is very painful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google