CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Release or Euthanize Cornsnakes? What's your opinion?
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Em Wright
Release or Euthanize Cornsnakes? What's your opinion?

A debate was started in a different thread, mostly about whether or not euthanizing a sick snake/deformed/refusing to eat is proper. It came up that releasing them into the wild was a better course of action.

I know that there probably are a LOT of views on this subject so rather than taking up the other thread I think it's best to start another for the purpose of discussing this.

So the topics at hand are:

1) Is it okay to release unwanted/unhealthy Cornsnakes in your backyard?
2) Should you euthanize or let nature decide by doing nothing for sick/deformed/refusing to eat snakes?

I urge everyone with an opinion to post it, no matter what that opinion is! Thanks guys!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
jpccusa
I am against releasing unwanted animals in the wild, period.

But, if I had no problem with it, I wouldn't still release a sick/deformed/refusing to eat animal in the wild because I would just be prolonging its death. The only difference is that I would not be witnessing it.

To avoid a problem is very different than to not have a problem.

Just my $0.02

Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Rotach
I strongly disagree with putting a snake in the freezer because it's not anesthetically pleasing.

If the animal is ill and on it's way out, and you have done all you can do, I still disagree. Set it free, let nature be the judge. As far as imbalancing an ecosystem by releasing corn snakes in the wild, that seems highly unlikely.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Rotach
jpccusa, how can you predict something w/out witnessing it. Isn't that called guessing? What if the animal thrives in it's natural enviroment?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
starsevol
Look what's happening in Florida with all the released pets....

Nope, euth is best for non feeders.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
jpccusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotach View Post
I strongly disagree with putting a snake in the freezer because it's not anesthetically pleasing.

If the animal is ill and on it's way out, and you have done all you can do, I still disagree. Set it free, let nature be the judge. As far as imbalancing an ecosystem by releasing corn snakes in the wild, that seems highly unlikely.
Well, remember that this forum has people from many different places on Earth... I don't see how unbalancing the ecosystem can be so highly unlikely.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Rotach
Releasing Burmese/Reticulated Pythons into the florida everglades; I disagree with. Releasing a corn snake in the woods; release away.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
danielle
Another view here is how responsible is it for someone to release a sick diseased animal in the wild to infect other healthy aniamls? It is a personal opinion and mine was made clear in the other thread freeze the poor sick animal. Do not allow it to infect a healthy flora or become prey which is just as painful as being frozen. DUH!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Rotach
I assumed we all had the common conception of an enviroment that the snake could thrive in, not alaska, jpccusa.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotach View Post
jpccusa, how can you predict something w/out witnessing it. Isn't that called guessing? What if the animal thrives in it's natural enviroment?
A cornsnakes natural environment is from South Carolina to Florida not anywhere in the world.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread