CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #51
Maize411
Talking

I like coming here and talking about different topics the DYK thread is okay but I don't visit it all that often..I think deleting a thread that has become to large is okay to do..but as long as someone can recreate another one so the fun can continue..

As far as the cleanliness of this site is concerned..I'm not going to say this site is any disney trip but I honestly haven't really seen anything incredibly distasteful..We all know the rules of the site and thus I would think we know where the lines would get drawn..

As far as turning a thread into a conversation box..I have to say that it could be both a good and a bad thing..Like when I needed information for my crested gecko..responses were being posted very close together..yes it would have been easier to just go into a chat..but as mentioned..posting and waiting for a response gave me time to look at other threads and even other sites but I still got the info I needed..However..when a thread is being turned into a conversation on things more social like when to hang out or what to do for the weekend with another member..then yes that could take place in chat or even over the phone..(this is all just my opinion)...

I don't mind seeing the dragon pics go though I think being allowed at least one would be nice..but when talk starts coming up of social threads being deleted..I just can't sit and not say anything..I have been here 2 years and love all the members on here as much as I love the friends in my life..Everyonr is a great help and I think the fact that we can have such free conversation on here is what makes this site so special..

But I am rambling..I'm sorry..lol...

All this talk of the DYK thread makes me wonder what happened to my "TMS" thread..lol..

Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #52
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually I only read the smallest fraction of posts here. It would seriously suck up all my time if I even tried to read a major portion of them. So it's going to be the mods that are going to be making recommendations about any direction they see threads, or this site in general, going that they feel may not be in my best interests.

I try to give people a lot of leeway here, and have asked the mods to do the same. But there always has to be sensible limits in place in any avenue open to public expression. Not just from people who are ignorant that such limits are necessary, but also from those people who will purposely try to cause friction among the members and staff by trying to push the envelope as much as possible.
My only point was that the buck stops with you - regardless of the agents used to administer the "day to day".

Dale

Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #53
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize411 View Post
I don't mind seeing the dragon pics go though I think being allowed at least one would be nice...
Just one? Pretty please? Then if it's still a problem, ditch them?

I know, I'm hopelessly addicted.

Does Vbulletin have an option for viewers to turn off seing sig pics?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #54
carol
I can't believe I forgot this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Man, dont think he even needs to explain anything. He dont want them then his wish should be your comand!
Enough said!
You are right, he doesn't need to explain and I respect his decision but the last time I checked the title of the forum is....

Discussions about this site
How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #55
stephen
Well

He asked to take them down,bugging him about keeping that up ,making him waste time reading posts doesnt help at a very busy time of the year. Out of respect for him and what he has done for everyone in this hobby. It should be a given that a simple request of his be honored!
Thats just how I feel !
I know some feel differently.......................

Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 AM   #56
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Maybe so.... But how much are THEY pulling in financially with advertising and such? Certainly if I could afford a server that would cost me $1200+ per month, this site would be just zipping along as well.

Heck at one time I was running four servers, and am now down to two. I dropped doing the domain hosting thing and consolidated three servers into two. I wish I could consolidate further into a single server without dramatically impacting throughput. So when I see something going on that I feel may impact performance, I have to weigh the benefits to the TOTAL members here concerning the enjoyment level of such things compared to the negative impact it may have affecting everyone. Active links in signature areas are definitely something that can adversely affect performance of a website. Even smilies can do so as well, but I felt that the tradeoff was worth while.

Heck, bear in mind that even if someone goes so far as to post a graphic in their signature that is 100K in file size. And further suppose they post 5 replies in a single page of a thread. The poor member on dialup who views that page has to wait for 500K of extraneous graphics files (ignoring caching for the purpose of this discussion) down to their browser.

So yeah, when everyone is on a fast fiber optic connection, then maybe I won't have to worry about such things. But until that time, sorry, I do have to watch over the bandwidth to try to make certain we don't chase away a bunch of people simply because they CAN'T view this site because of the bandwidth demands it puts on their browser.
You lost me after the first paragraph.... LOL
I'm just not puter or web literate, I can switch it on and post a thread and thats it, but I think you have probably answered my question as to why?????
Just I didn't understand a word of it.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #57
carol
It was honored.

I don't disrespect Rich's time. I've seen a lot of great things come from feed back. The dragon issue is silly but I think considering how much some of the people who like them contribute to the site, I think it was worth a minute or two of consideration no matter what his choice. Especially if there is a chance that allowing it got more people to contribute via memberships and posts.

I've seen a few things here that started with a "no" and changed to a "yes" and the change has been really nice. Feedback may have played a part in that. I just figured Rich maybe interested in viewing a dialog of what people think, whether he agrees with them or not. If he's not interested, he won't read it. No sweat off anyones back. I think one of the things that has made this site so great is that he doesn't treat feedback as a waste of time. Love the youtube insert btw Rich! I hope that doesn't slow anyone down.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #58
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
Especially if there is a chance that allowing it got more people to contribute via memberships and posts.
But what about the people it runs off by slowing the site down? I think that is more of what was concerning Rich. Personally, my hope is that he will eventually disallow all images in signatures.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #59
Susan
Quote:
Amen! I didn't join the DYK thread until I needed to vent about the "Killing the Future Market" thread. Before that I never even read it but never wanted it gone simply because I had to overpass it in the "new posts" list.

PM me!! I need a place to grow my eggs.

Not necessarily as easily done. In DYK I can talk to someone, leave to check on the rest of the forum, and come back for the answer whenever I can, I don't have to stay captive to the screen. If it takes me awhile to get back to the converstation, I can go back and quote their response and reply so there is no question who I am talking to. In chat, if I leave too long the other person's response could have dropped off the page, or that person may have left, etc.

It's kind of a give and take and making limitations is a fine line. If Rich limits the site just to cornsnake discussions, I don't think I'd have enough to say to be here everyday or be interested about reading about corns everyday and my visits would drop dramatically. I have a feeling I'm not the only one. So the more limitations are put, the less traffic the site will have. Then your loading speed problem will be solved but there will be not much to read at your lightening speed.
OK, I just opened that thread to a page at random (page 105, setting of 40 posts per page) and found a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Posts 4176 to 4193 is basically a conversation between 2 people (only 1 post is by another member). It reads just like a chat log, even with one member "crying" about the other member leaving them alone on the thread. Couldn't that have just as easily been done in PM or Profile Visitor Message or even chat, since it was just the 2 of them? And in chat, if there are alot of people in there, all you need to do is go to a private chat so as not to have to wade through other conversations.

And please, don't get me wrong, if you don't mind having to go through 17 posts of private chatter to find a post or two that you want to read, have fun. I'm just voicing my opinion as to why I don't read it anymore. Knowing that Elle is going out to have a cigarette is not high on my priority list of "things I might want to know".

Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #60
Em Wright
Quote:
Does Vbulletin have an option for viewers to turn off seing sig pics?
Actually, yes it does.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...lements_SS.jpg

That can be found under Edit Options in your User CP for anyone who is looking for it.

I'm not trying to start a mess or anything, but I do agree with Carol. Whereas everyone seems to hate it so much, I personally am sorry to see it go. I will abide by those rules, but will also voice my opinion and offer feedback.

Personally I think that if people want to help the site move faster they should disallow viewing signatures and images entirely. That would give them optimal loading times, or at least I would think so... (I don't really know much about that myself).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google