CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

starting to bug me

Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #41
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Dean, could you kind of keep an eye on Susan. She is getting a little scarry.
Leave me out of this!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #42
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
It started with the DYK thread, watching the same people chat about random stuff and rep each other over and over. Then the social groups thing, because ONE random thread wasn't enough I guess?

It gets old to wade through the drivel and try to find relevant things.
Jen, you've got to know that you are one of my favorite people here but I had to respond to this...

The DYK thread is very easy to skip over and I find that the social groups are a PITA to get to from the main screen. So I don't really understand the "having to wade through it" part.

For me DYK is a stress relief sounding board. I'm very stressed out in general right now, my brain is so busy solving my own problems all day it gets too tired to solve controversial snake topics. For some reason it is just relaxing for me to go somewhere for a bit and talk to people about their day and tell them about mine. Some stuff in there is completely useless, but a lot of times there are things that are really important to people but they don't feel it's important/relevant enough for it's own thread. DYK kind of gives them an outlet for that. I'd imagine without DYK there would be a lot more threads started in GCC about random things, at least DYK keeps it more concentrated and easier to skip over for those who are not interested.

I think another part of the problem is that lately there seems to be a lot of confrontational newbies or overly sensitive posters. The last few interesting threads I was involved in got totally derailed by beginners knowing it all and not wanting to take advice. Or if you state any kind of constructive criticism people get their feelings hurt and think you are being mean. Are people coming here for correct information and honest educated opinions or are they just looking for a pat on the back over everything they are doing regardless if it's for the best of their animal or their place in this hobby?

So many times people ask for help and opinions and you have to walk on eggshells making sure your response doesn't set them off. Sometimes having very well thought out responses rejected by those who asked for it sends me to my DYK happy place.

Maybe a little bit is also due to the fact that I've been breeding enough years to have developed what works for me. I have little interest in changing anything unless it would really impact my corns heath for the better. I also have no interest in convincing anyone that my way is best. So that really leaves me with not much to say in the cornsnake posts. Especially since the rash of confrontational newbie posts. They can make a belt out of their cornsnake for all I care, it's a free country. I could use my useless logic on them from dawn until dusk and I won't get anywhere so why waste my time?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #43
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
...confrontational newbie posts....
Redundant.

Quote:
I could use my useless logic on them from dawn until dusk and I won't get anywhere so why waste my time?
"You must spread more reputation around blah blah blah..."

Quote of the Week nominee!

Dale

Old 03-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #44
wade
Quote:
Jen, you've got to know that you are one of my favorite people here

Maybe a little bit is also due to the fact that I've been breeding enough years to have developed what works for me. I have little interest in changing anything unless it would really impact my corns heath for the better. I also have no interest in convincing anyone that my way is best.

I have to agree with Carol. I really liked the first and last paragraphs.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #45
Drizzt80
Quote:
So many times people ask for help and opinions and you have to walk on eggshells making sure your response doesn't set them off. Sometimes having very well thought out responses rejected by those who asked for it sends me to my DYK happy place.
I've begun attempting to use the KISS method when I do decide to answer a newbs question(s). If they decide to respond by getting confrontational or disagree, I don't have to respond! I gave them what I thought was the best answer. It's refreshing.

D80

Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #46
wade
If they get confrontational you can give them the KISS MA response.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #47
jazzgeek
Quote:
Keep Ma out of this. She's good people.

Dale

Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #48
tricksterpup
Quote:
Oh Kiss my Asp..

Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #49
Rich Z
Heck, I'm trying to finish up my taxes, breeding season is going to WAY overlap laying season, have to work with two part time helpers this year because EVERY darn interviewee we talked to would have been worse then useless here, our road has been an impassable mud quagmire lately since the roads department put some sort of clay junk over top of the sand and we are getting LOTS of rain, got back two mosquito magnets from taking over a month to get repaired and one came back with parts missing, I've got my main computer dead right now with hard drive errors after being back to the shop for the fourth time and down more than it has been up in the past 6 months, got a new computer sitting right here (to replace the one just mentioned) that had memory errors this morning after running diagnostics all night, and this 6 year old computer I'm using right now to type this is acting kind of strange.

Me? Stressed out? Pains in my chest? You betcha... I pointedly try to stay out of conversations on all my sites right now, because that fuse is SO short that I would blow up faster than an eyeblink.....

Oh lovely, I hear the rain beating on the roof right now and have to get over to the reptile building to do more work. I just DARE any of those little suckers to give me any grief tonight......... Of course, the way the rain sounds right now, I may drown before I get over there anyway...

Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #50
ghosthousecorns
oh wow Rich. Well I haven't done my taxes either. I've just been putting it off until the last minute because I ran my own business last year and it is so hard getting the books in some semblance of order.. I think more people would have their own business if doing the taxes for that wasn't such a hassle.
Consider this my invitation for the Zoloft Margarita party!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google