CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Silly question about "putting" corns together

Old 04-02-2002, 02:17 PM   #11
CornsnakeKeeper
B-Jay,

She undoubtedly had too many together in too small of a cage, unless they were hatchlings.

Corn snakes should never be mixed with other species of snakes.

Can you give us the dimensions of your cage in inches &/or feet?

I suggest you purchase "the Corn Snake Manual" by : Bill and Kathy Love via http://www.amazon.com
It's well worth the money

Old 04-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #12
Simon
B-Jay,
I think that your friend has put too many snakes in a tank. That is way too much. As you said, there are some BIG snakes in the cage together with the little ones.....I would definately not do that. Also mixing with other speices is not that good of an idea either....so don't do that. Get some more tanks or even get a rack system like others do.

and yes do get the "Corn Snake Manuel" from Bill and Kathy Loves, it's a book that you must have and you'll learn a lot from it!

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-03-2002, 10:12 AM   #13
B-J@y
I Do have the book!!! it's really great!!

But I don't have the room for another tank!!
my current tank is 47.25 x 15.75 x 23.62 inch!

I'll buy some new tanks when i'll move out!!

B-J@y

Old 04-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #14
Peter
plastic containers

Can you get some good sized plastic containers to house them in? Check out some pics on this forum or on kingsnake to see what I mean.

Old 04-03-2002, 07:41 PM   #15
JakeTheSnake
I think it depends on the size of the snake whether housing multies together. I have two snake in a 35 gallon and the are roughly the same size. But when they are mature they'll be seperated. I planning on using sterilite containers. and I have a rack already built.

Old 04-04-2002, 04:54 PM   #16
csmith1626
CAGING

IREAD A ARTICLE AT PETPLANET.COM SAYING YOU NEED A 20 GALLON TANK FOR EACH SNAKE IT ALSO SAID A PLASTIC CONTAINER WOULD WORK.

CSMITH1626

Old 04-04-2002, 05:44 PM   #17
Missymonkey
Do you have to seperate corns when they are older? how much older? I'm sure if there are no problems while they are together then there is no reason to seperate, but I don't have experiance with older mature corns. And when you seperate to feed what would you guys sugguest for the snake that is not in the tank to be in?

Old 04-04-2002, 10:36 PM   #18
JakeTheSnake
Like I post on the old forum Ive been to several serpantriums and they house several corns in one enclosuer. For years the Philly zoo had three corns in one display and nothing ever happen to them. It maybe sheer luck nothing has happen or there is other reason behind the canniblism.

Old 04-05-2002, 01:28 AM   #19
Serpwidgets
The fact is that they can get stressed from being housed together. Just because you don't notice anything 'wrong' doesn't mean that they're not having any problems as a result.

If you had a dog would you feed it the cheapest possible dog food regardless of the fact that other, higher-priced dog foods are better for it? Or would you feed it whatever you thought would give it the best nutrition?

Old 04-05-2002, 09:37 AM   #20
Missymonkey
I can see waht you guys mean. Out in the "wild" I'm sure corn snakes don't bump into each other all that often. But I tend to personify my pets and stuff, and get worried that they are lonely or bored. Plus living in a two bedroom apartment with two guys and all our stuff there just isn't a lot of room for all these aquariums. However, I may try it for a month or so and see how it works. I have got the itch to have a little corn snake ranch and you can't have a sherrif without his deputy or the captain without his tonille. Plus small aquariums aren't that expensive, I guess it's just one of those trial and error thing and just hope for the best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google