CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #351
karmella
daddio207 are you online?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #352
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmella View Post
daddio207 are you online?
Yes and no LOL

Watching black Friday reptile auctions so I'm jumping site to site.

If you got questions, there is a lot of experienced snake keepers here that will jump in the conversation if I can't.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #353
karmella
Possible corn snake scale rot?

Does this look like scale rot? She (or he?!) is about 20 years old and has not eaten for about 8 weeks. She doesn't move much lately and has developed what appears to be scale rot? Looking for home remedies for this since I do not have access to snake medicine or a vet. Name:  k02.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  320.3 KB

Name:  k03.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  388.8 KB

Name:  k01.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  163.8 KB

Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #354
daddio207
It does appear to be.

What is scale rot?
Scale rot is a bacterial infection often found in captive reptiles, especially snakes. It is caused by the conditions being too moist and also by improper husbandry practices involving failure to properly clean the animal’s enclosure. Basically they slither around in their own excrement and come down with an infection on their stomachs. Which shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Here's what to do
1.Get the temperature right
2.Get the humidity right
3.Get the tank cleaned up
4.Use triple anti-biotic ointment (WITHOUT painkiller)
5.A bath in a betadine solution (10% betadine)

That is copied and pasted.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #355
karmella
triple anti-biotic ointment - is this something like polysporin? and I apply this directly to the affected areas?

the take currently has peat moss on the bottom... what else can I use to ensure proper cleaning, and do I chop it up, put large pieces, etc.?

10%betadine 90% water and bathe her in it for a time period or just a dunk?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #356
Nanci
Karmella, I think you'd be better off starting your own thread about this rather than tacking on to a four year old thread.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #357
daddio207
Polysporin is a double anti-biotic so close.

Get rid off the moss, switch to aspen ( for reptiles ) when you get this cleared up. in the mean time I would put her on a thick layer of paper towels.

I would soak her 10 or 15 minutes once a day depending on how she reacts.

If that's a heat rock, get rid of it and go to undertank heater and/or overhead heat light. A temperature gauge is a MUST !

Go to "South Mountain Reptiles" SMR for the proper tank set up or "search" here for the right way to keep your corn

Typing fast cause I got to go for a bit, sorry.......

Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #358
Spencer
Get it sent to your school. Find a way. It's not about you, it's about caring for your animals Anyway you can. It's your responsibility now. If that means becoming then rehome. Denying a snake Basic needs like heat is like denying it food. Don't care How old you are or How your parents would be angry. It's about caring for your pets. But I kinda think your just a troll

Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #359
Spencer
Oops. Didn't realize it was 4 years old. My bad

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google