CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #91
Adui
Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus5139
Please don't go to a Petco to get your corn. While I have gone to petco in the past to buy rodents, petco sells poor quality animals. This is not always true, and some stores may be better than the few petcos around my house but all the fish they sell are sick and die in weeks and their reptiles aren't of the highest quality either, though not as bad the fish. I guarantee there is some little family owned pet store or small chain pet store near you that you may not know about that could sell you a nice healthy snake and more than likely get you a known morph.
Well.. My current Corn snake was purchased at Petco, and I have to admit I was not going to go back. My baby came home with mites. I did the research and took care of it. Now the petco has a girl in charge of the snakes who, at least on first conversation, seems to know at least something about snakes. I am still not going to just run over there and buy one without trying to find other sources. However if that becomes necessary I will buy it there if they can get what I want.
All that said, I do know of a semi local shop that while selling all pet supplies sells only reptiles and fish. I chatted with that fellow for quite a while, he seemed very knowledgeable about reptiles in general. What impressed me the most was the fact that when asked a question hie didn't have the answer too he didn't feed me a line, he just said " i don't really know, but I'm sure I can get you a book on it if you need it."

If I haven't found a breeder with the particular morph i want locally I will contact him and see what he can get before I go back to the "Evil petco". (Sorry couldnt resist)

Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #92
Baba-Lou
Wow now thats a pet store i would go to.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #93
Adui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
And I will also be the hard-liner to say that if you REALLY cannot afford the shipping in addition to the cost of the snake, maybe you shouldn't be getting the snake. I factored the $25 snake and $45 shipping into my planning for the animal and made it work. I think most people (like Adui) would rather not pay the shipping, but would if it's the only way to get a Corn. The other thing to consider is that if pet stores were not allowed to sell snakes, there would be (at least in my area) more of an incentive for hobbyists to breed and sell to the public. So you probably wouldn't have to look to Florida to get a good home-grown Corn Snake.

Just my $.02.
{Begin rant}

Oh I see so us poor folk caint have pets, thats only for the rich fo'k who kin afferd em.. After all I caint afferd to have ma' pet shipped so I must not be a good owner.

I'm sorry, I really REALLY tried not to be offended but I get this crap WAY too often about too dad blamed many of my hobbies. Example, i am a ham radio operator, I cant afford the kid of antenna I need for the space I have available. I was actually told by one person "Then I guess you just cant afford our hobby." For the record, I wasn't looking for a handout, I was looking for technical advice on building my own version for as little as possible.

Just because I would rather save the $45 shipping fee for equipment, or the emergency vet reserve.. Or maybe even just gas to go to work DOES NOT mean I am incapable of properly caring for my pets. I resent the implication that it does.
{End rant}

My apologies to the masses, this is not intended to be a flame, just a rant...

Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #94
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
Just my $.02.
You may have some change coming your way.

regards,
jazz

Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #95
antsterr
Since we're talking about pet shop conditions.
One pet shop here I purchased some corns from has about 30 amel's all in one big 50 gallon tank. The snakes were all healthy and I know that they cared about their health because they would not sell one to me on the day I first asked because they had all just been fed and they said the car ride could be rough full belly.
The reptile manager there said that they've never had any problems with keeping that many snakes in one cage. They way it was set up there were many many spaces to be used as hides or places for a snake to go and be alone, but 90% of them were all piled up in the same hide. I guess these snakes didn't mind the crowd.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #96
SnakeAround
Maybe they all hided their cause it was the only warm spot.... or the only cool spot for that matter.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 AM   #97
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintha
As for turtles living in a bowl with a rock... it DOES work =) One was 31 when we got her and was only 2 inches diameter =) Had been in a fish bowl her entire life and the owners son gave her to us. Turtles are fairly unique as they won't outgrow their tanks. That turtle is 46 now and shares a 25 gallon tank with another female, both are 5-6 inch diameter now =)
I really, really hope I misinterpreted what you were saying.

A 31 year old turtle should NOT be 2." The thought of someone keeping a turtle in a bowl for its entire life is horrid. Turtles can and will outgrow their tanks or their growths will be stunted considerably.

http://www.theturtleranch.com/DEFMT.html

Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #98
MooreSnakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_man
This is off topic but i feel it is needed:

Q: what is the difference between a snake and a goth?

A: you slam on the brakes if a snake is in the road.

sorry to any goths out there, its just meant to be fun.
Replace goth with lawyer

Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #99
Gintha
Ours have never outgrown their tanks =) And yes, poor little thing was only 2 inches at 31. Shes close to 6 inch diameter now tho and weighs almost 3 pounds. Feisty for a 46 year old turtle too hehe, would snap your finger off in a heartbeat. She bites, one of the other ones hisses and one of them likes to be dried off and cuddle in bed LOL. I'll get pics of the nice one next time I go to my sisters hehe, not putting my hands in the tank upstairs, they are the "guard turtles" for the house LOL

Grandpa did some research on turtles a while back, red eared sliders don't tend to outgrow their homes, but painted and box turtles do, and snapping turtles if your brave enough to buy one =) Ours are all sliders, I had a boxy but my ex took him, my little Fernando! I miss him *sniff*

Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #100
TripleMoonsExotic
So you think it's perfectly exceptable to house them improperly and stunt their growth?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google