CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

How long can baby snakes stay in the incubator...

Old 07-11-2004, 02:47 AM   #1
bonzor
How long can baby snakes stay in the incubator...

After they hatch??
I´m going on holiday and my corns are do to hatch when i´m gone.
Can they stay in the incubator for a few days??
And the first cluch hatched after 60 days is this one to going to hatch after 60 days (same parents). I`m hopeing that they will take more time to get out this time.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
hockeystop
Good question. I have some in the incubator also that will probably hatch within the next week or so and I hate to keep checking every day because I have another box in the incubator and I don't want the temps to keep jumping around.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
bonzor
anyone????

Old 07-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
cranwill
They would be ok for a while. Some people keep them together in the egg box until after their first sheds. As for living in the incubator, I house my hatchlings in individual containers in the incubator until they have begun feeding. So they are fine at "incubator conditions" for a while.

How long will you be gone though? I would say anything under a week would be ok… but the shorter the better.

Incubation time isn't really determined by the parents. It's the result of temperature. If you've incubated at a higher temp, they will hatch sooner. If you've incubated at a lower temp, it will take longer.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Jason B.
listening to the advice of people more expierienced then myself, I left my hatchlings in the incubation boxes about a week till they shed. I had no problems with it at all. The only question I have is should I give them a water bowl? I'm worried they will get vermiculite in the water and ingest it.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:47 AM   #6
bonzor
after they are expected to hatch i´m coming home after a week. I do have someone to lock after my animals so if it is nessesey she can move them to other boxes.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
electronfusion@gmail
oh man, this is an old thread, but it's the first that came up in a gogle search, so i'll comment and hope the bump attracts some new attention.

i have the opposite question: when is the earliest that hatchlings can be taken out of incubator conditions? i ask because i used spagnum moss rather than vermiculite, and although my eggs and the area around them are free of mold, there is some mold at the other side of the incubator that i would like to keep the babies away from. when they came out of their eggs i put them each in their own 3x8" ventilated containers, but i'm a little concerned if the humidity change is too extreme or too early? my room has a large fish tank so the humidity is 55%. is that ok for the delicate hatchlings, or do i need to augment their humidity by putting something moist in with them?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
bitsy
I take them out and put them into individual tubs as soon as each is completely out of the egg and moving around. I don't wait for them all to hatch. I find them difficult to handle if I leave them together - I open the egg tub lid and 15 little beasties all make a run for it in different directions!

I've rarely had a problem first shed in their separate living quarters. You could provide each of them with a tiny container of damp kitchen paper if you're worried.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
electronfusion@gmail
so good to know. thanks, @bitsy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google