CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hi from Portland

Old 05-18-2022, 10:45 PM   #1
schnekkie
Hi from Portland

Hello, I'm Chrissie and got this little guy in December off of a group chat from someone who was getting divorced and needed to re-home him. I've never had a snake before or even been around them but had been wanting a pet that doesn't shed (fur) or is otherwise too high maintenance. This is the perfect pet for me. I named him Krtek after an adorable little Czech cartoon character I randomly discovered on YouTube a few years ago. Krtek the Snek. I mostly just call him Schnekkie, though. I believe he's a granite but I really don't know. Is he really a boy? Also unverified information. I've worked to learn as much as I can to make him comfortable and thrive, and have prioritized building his trust, and the reward has been discovering the cutest little personality. Curious, relaxed, tongue-flicking little busybody happy to cruise around the table and keep me company as I draw, as well as do security checks. Kind of like a mall cop. I ordered a nice enclosure from Animal Plastics but they are several thousand weeks out, it feels like, so I build him little climbing toys and stack up flat boxes and cut little openings for him to explore when I have him out. He shed today and is full of energy. His previous shed was in March. Here are some photos.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-18-2022, 11:19 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Cute little guy! He doesn't look like a granite to me, but he does look like an anery.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #3
schnekkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Cute little guy! He doesn't look like a granite to me, but he does look like an anery.
Good to know! I know zero about morphology, but I love that they can change it up so drastically.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
SnakeCreations
Welcome neighbor! He is a cutie for sure, congrats! There is a DNA test for sex determination through Rare Genetics, if you're curious. If I remember correctly it's relatively inexpensive and you can get the sex results by sending in a recent shed. I've not used them, but I've read a fair number of positive reviews.

Enjoy!

-Tonya

Old 05-22-2022, 12:16 PM   #5
schnekkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCreations View Post
Welcome neighbor! He is a cutie for sure, congrats! There is a DNA test for sex determination through Rare Genetics

-Tonya
Thank you Tonya, I am curious! I will look that up

Old 05-27-2022, 08:52 PM   #6
Caryl
He's adorable! I feel you on the downside of creatures who shed fur. I do love my mammals, don't get me wrong. But every time I sweep the floor, I wish mammals could shed once a month or so, all in one convenient piece like my darling corn snakes.
I love that you're entertained by entertaining your little guy. I always enjoy watching their personality come out once trust is established. Glad you found the forum, and hope to see many more pictures of your Schnekkie.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #7
schnekkie
Thank you Caryl! He's so gentle and curious, and I'm not sure yet, but it seems like he's learning that that two empty paper towel tubes I taped together as one long tube are his car. I take him out and return him to his enclosure inside of it. He's not in love with being handled, so being in the tube is a stress free way to travel.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
Caryl
That's a smart work-around. I think a lot of people (especially non-snake people) underestimate their ability to figure things out.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:13 PM   #9
schnekkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
That's a smart work-around. I think a lot of people (especially non-snake people) underestimate their ability to figure things out.

Its pretty amazing to watch their little minds work!

Old 06-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
Eremita
Welcome! He's cute; nice table too.

-s.