CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snake keeps escaping :(

Old 03-15-2022, 02:27 AM   #1
snakeywakey
Snake keeps escaping :(

Hello! I got my corn snake about 7 months ago and about a month ago she escaped her enclosure and since then has gotten out three other times (all times I found her within an hour.) I finally found the spot she has been getting out from and secured it but I still am worried that the reason she is escaping is because I'm doing something wrong. :/ I keep the temperature consistent (about 83 on the warm side and 77 on the cool side) and humidity between 50% and 60%. I clean it regularly and change the bedding. I have her in a 20 gallon tank and she's still pretty small so it should be plenty of space.

I also just don't like her being out of her tank for too long since its too cold and dry outside the tank. I know snakes are known to be good escape artists, I'm just a little concerned that it has happened multiple times.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #2
67temp
Corn snakes are known for being escape artists. Once they find a way out they will keep trying the same route even if you think it might be secure. is your 20 gal a front opening, sliding lid or screen with metal clamps?

Old 03-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #3
snakeywakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
Corn snakes are known for being escape artists. Once they find a way out they will keep trying the same route even if you think it might be secure. is your 20 gal a front opening, sliding lid or screen with metal clamps?

It’s front opening !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
Corn snakes will always be looking for ways to escape - it has nothing to do with happiness, so try not to take it personally
You could probably bump up your warm side temps by a few degrees.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
Caryl
That's a frustrating situation. As others have said, snakes are fantastic escape artists. This is one time when you can be darned sure that it's really NOT you.

How did you block the place where the snake was getting out?

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #6
Rich Z
Corn snakes are rather inquisitive. It's not that yours wants to get OUT, it just wants to explore. While exploring, if it finds a hole, it will think "I wonder where that goes? Maybe I'll stick my head in there and look around... Hmm, I can fit my whole body in there! Wow, where AM I now?"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escaped