CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Tessera Debate

Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by abell82 View Post

If they were not hybrids, then why not openly introduce the original breeder of the original stock?
1. Because this person may ask for a cut of the profits?
2. Because this person could still breed there own?
OR...
3. Because this person could tell the animals actual heritage?
Wouldn't this end any and all debate?
OR
4. The original person sold the animals to Graham and KJ because he was getting out of the hobby. And he thought they were a weird form of the stripe gene.
No conspiracy. Just ask the original people who noticed the oddity and acted on it. Like many people before this have stated it was Graham and KJ who bought the original animals. They then brought Don into the mix and the three of them test bred the animals. All of this info is out in the public forums and any one of those original people will more than happily tell the story of how it was discovered.

Terri

Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
StrangeCargo
Whoty- see my website for their history: www.scexotics.com Tesseras aren't hybrids.... As stated so many times on this board and others- people will always "trash" a new morph calling it a hybrid...Ask Rich Z- I'm sure it's happened to him many times over the years... Reasons why- who knows...you pick it: jealousy? inexperience in the hobby? trolling? abell82- You'll understand one day IF you ever introduce anything new into the hobby.

The POSITIVE response we've seen for the Tesseras (and now the Tessera morphs) has been amazing and well worth it.

Graham

Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Cattsy
My take on it (take it for what it's worth)

There are these debates in EVERY species that humans have decided to breed. There are the "elite" that believe themselves to be superior, or wish they were, or want to be, and someone else likes something not "normal" that they have tried to breed out, or that they dismissed that someone else was sucessful with, and all of a sudden people are throwing labels "puppy mill" "crossbreed" "mutt" "Backyard breeder"

These are all common terms used to label people and destroy reputations when really the reality doesn't matter.

Most registries consider an animal "purebred" after five documented generations of verifiable pedigree. After that, they are pretty much genetically unidentifiable from their "purebred" counterparts. In establishing new breed often there are several breeds in the mix, and in SOME breeds, particularly in cats, you are allowed to outcross to other breeds or even use unregistered animals when establishing a new line.

So, my opinion on it, could it have origonated as a hybrid? Possibly
Does it make one darn whit of difference? Hell no, at least, not now, and not anytime soon

I think it is a fascinating gene sequence, and a really COOL addition to the cornsnake genetic pool

(just one newbies opinion, well new to corn snakes, certainly not new to breeding!!)

Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
OR
4. The original person sold the animals to Graham and KJ because he was getting out of the hobby. And he thought they were a weird form of the stripe gene.
No conspiracy. Just ask the original people who noticed the oddity and acted on it. Like many people before this have stated it was Graham and KJ who bought the original animals. They then brought Don into the mix and the three of them test bred the animals. All of this info is out in the public forums and any one of those original people will more than happily tell the story of how it was discovered.

Terri

Thanks Terri! Sorry guys- no conspiracy... I wish I would have kept the breeders contact info BUT I didn't know they were going to be anything special. I have a large collection... it was years ago and I've moved a few times...any reciept is long gone... my bad. Heck, I had them a few years before be figured out they were something new... I just like okeetees and this was my "striped okeetee" project....

Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
abell82
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeCargo View Post
... abell82- You'll understand one day IF you ever introduce anything new into the hobby.

Graham
Graham, you should do your homework...
I understand, better then you know, evidently. But, I still see NO difference between Tessera's and the scaleless corn's...
( Except that BHB freely admitts to the scaleless corns ancestry)

Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #16
RobbiesCornField
I said my piece in the other thread. I've had the chance to examine Tessera's up close and personal. In my opinion, definitely not hybrids. Again, I think anyone who cries "HYBRID" right off the bat is just jealous they didn't make the discovery. That's really what it seems to boil down to. Can you imagine what must have been thought when the first lavender's appeared on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCorn View Post
Not only is it impossible/unproven to cross an old/new world species but one as obscure as they claimed was ridiculous.
False. There's a member on here who has a corn x e. climacophora (Japanese rat).

Maybe if you want your opinion on hybrids taken seriously, you should do some research to see what's actually possible.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #17
Pruddock
I've been to the breeding facilities of two of the three (KJ and Graham), I was there and saw them before they were every even introduced and I've seen the original. This was just a freak gene that slipped through in an odd looking corn and popped up while these guys were working on a completely separate project. They held it back to make sure they could reproduce it and that it wasn't just a freak coincidence, and then they came out when they felt secure in the fact that Tessera was in fact a new gene. They're beautiful animals, they're NOT hybrids, and there's a lot of cool stuff coming in the near future because of this gene. I know I'm excited to be a part of it

Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #18
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by abell82 View Post
I still see NO difference between Tessera's and the scaleless corn's...
Hmm- I see a BIG difference between them... one is a genetic pattern mutation and the other is missing most of it's scales
On a serious note: We ALL know that Scaless Corns are actually a CREAMSICLE corn... they are a KNOWN hybrid (the orig. scaleless popped out of a clutch between a Corn X Emoryi).

Don't understand the "you should do your homework" comment...

Do you have Tesseras or Scaleless corns? I DO have Scaleless Corn hets directly from BHB...I've invested in the project... I will sell them for what they are: Scaleless Creamsicle Corns and put the entire history/story on my website.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but if I had any evidence- or felt the slightest uneasiness- of the Tesseras purity, I'd be the first to admit it. I'm an honest guy with nothing to hide...

Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #19
Shiari
What Whoty is failing to take into consideration is that Tessera is a single genetic mutation. If it was the result of hybridisation, it wouldn't be a dominant trait, and would not pass down steadily and in such an obviously dominant fashion.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #20
whoty
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
I said my piece in the other thread. I've had the chance to examine Tessera's up close and personal. In my opinion, definitely not hybrids. Again, I think anyone who cries "HYBRID" right off the bat is just jealous they didn't make the discovery. That's really what it seems to boil down to.
I said they may be hybrid. But,why would I be jealous,I'm not trying to make any "discovery".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google