CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Incomplete shed--> problems?

Old 04-01-2002, 07:14 PM   #11
Iris
Actually, I ended up just putting him in a container with a bunch of wet paper towels. He hates it and is shoving his face into the corners trying to get out. I can even see him trembling with the effort to shove his face through...
Anyway, before that I tried to peel the scale off using tweezers to catch an edge and pull the whole thing off. It didn't work. First, he wouldn't stop moving his darn head and if I gently tried to restrain him, of course he pulled away and tried to escape from my grasp. He officially hates me.
I got this clear plastic box and shredded some paper towels and wet them with warm water (even though they'll eventually cool down anyway..) and filled 3/4 of the box with them. Then I poked some holes in the lid. (four very small ones so no moisture nor Xavier can get out) Then I put Xavier in the box and shut the lid really quickly. I'll wait about 30 minutes I guess and check up on him to see if he's worked it off yet. If not, I'll try the tweezers again.

Can't you just hear him saying,"Let me out!"??

Old 04-01-2002, 09:11 PM   #12
Iris
It didn't work..

Didn't work so I put a whole bunch of shredded paper towels in the tank itself and left his water bowl and 2 hides in the tank. Maybe after one (or more) night it will come off..I don't know what else to do.
What a terrible picture! but you can see basically everything (including the mess on the shelf above..) He's in the picture too, on the very left if you look hard enough.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:43 AM   #13
Simon
well I do hope that the old skin will come off soon for you. Good luck and Happy Herping!

Keep us updated!

Old 04-02-2002, 08:46 PM   #14
Iris
It still didn't come off...
He hates the moisture and stays in the little rim of the tank on the top, and as soon as i reach my hand in he comes toward me and onto my hand begging to let him into a drier area. (which is SO cute!)
I don't know what else to try...I can't use the tweezers and he isn't gonna get it off by himself. I think I'm just gonna leave it alone and hopefully he will get it off in the next shed. If not...well I don't really mind if he ends up with a little ugly spot on his head...hopefully he won't either

Old 04-02-2002, 09:59 PM   #15
Solaris16
I'd be careful with the moisture....

Hi Iris!

I would be careful with so much moisture if I were you, can't they develop scale rot from too high humidity? I'm new to this! Anyone know? Thanks! Wendy

Old 04-02-2002, 11:01 PM   #16
Gregg
Won't Shed the last bit?

Hi Iris,

Why not let it be? A piece that small is not worth the stress you might put your snake through trying to get it off. It won't hurt the snake to leave it. It may eventually come off on its own before the next shed, or it may come off at the next shed, but either way, the snake will be just fine in the meantime. Corn snakes are quite hardy. Shedding is also something snakes have been doing for a few million years. It is new only for us humans.

I don't mean to express a lack of concern. I just don't want to see your snake, or you, get too stressed out over a non-life threatening situation. Everything will be ok, okay?

Old 04-03-2002, 12:11 AM   #17
JakeTheSnake
I remember on the old board that DrMike suggest bathing or allowing the to be put into a container of warm(not hot or cold) water. Thus keeping the skin hydrated, and when time comes for a shed no problems occur. I have been doing this for the past year and it seems my snake shed fully and all intact. Just my two cents.

Old 04-03-2002, 02:08 AM   #18
Iris
Thanks for the reassurance, Gregg. I tend to freak out about every single little thing when it comes around to my little friend. I figured I'll just leave it alone especially since I can't figure out what to do about it.

I always raise the humidity to about 60%-70% whenever his eyes get cloudy so he'll have an easier time but I guess he didn't get that piece of this time for whatever reason.

And Wendy, thanks for the concern. I took out all the wet paper towels and everything is back to normal now. Scale rot certainly sounds like a possibility but I only had the extra damp paper towels in for a few hours. He's all happy now especially with a mouse in his stomach.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google