CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Don Soderberg's Palmetto

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #71
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslf View Post
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, a quick question or two.

What Morph was the Female that the Male Palmetto was paired with?

Did the f1 generation produce Palmetto babies?
I bet that's classified!! But the whole story of Palmetto is on Don's website.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #72
knox
That is definitely a unique and beautiful snake.

At this initial price point, it doesn't make much sense to me to purchase one unless you plan on breeding and selling the babies. (Unless, of course, you simply have the extra money to spend that won't hurt your budget in anyway and can afford to buy one for a pet)

To be certain, as the gene pool widens, the prices will drop for those who want one simply as a pet. But getting in on the ground floor is the way to go for the first few years to make any money. The price drops on Ball Python morphs are a clear indication of this trend.

Fortunately for me, the Okeetees that are near and dear to my heart are still within my limited budget.

It is a wonderful thing to see the beauty and diversity that snakes contain, hidden in their genetic code waiting to be brought out by experienced breeders across the country. For that, I say a huge Thank You for your efforts!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #73
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslf View Post
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, a quick question or two.

What Morph was the Female that the Male Palmetto was paired with?

Did the f1 generation produce Palmetto babies?
Not sure exactly which morph females it was first paired with, but they were morphs Jim Godfrey had bred him to just prior to sending him to Don's place just in case something happened to it via transit. Also it was fairly late in the season so they didn't want to take a chance there either.

No, all the F-1 offspring were hets since it is a simple recessive gene. They had to be back-bred to one another and/or to the Palmetto sire to create more Palmetto's.

~Doug

Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #74
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
No, all the F-1 offspring were hets since it is a simple recessive gene. They had to be back-bred to one another and/or to the Palmetto sire to create more Palmetto's.
Which means that the F-1 generation did produce Palmettos.
Depends on how you read it though.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #75
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Which means that the F-1 generation did produce Palmettos.
Depends on how you read it though.
You mean the F-1^2?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #76
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
You mean the F-1^2?

I don't get it.
Maybe it's old age ... no ... no ... it is lack of sleep. Yep, that's my excuse ... lack of sleep.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #77
Shiari
F1 is the first generation. F2 is the second. That means that the normal offspring from the palmetto and the female were the F1- no palmettos produced. Breeding the offspring together, or back to the palmetto produced a second generation, this time with Palmettos. Because these appeared in the F2, it showed it was a recessive trait.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #78
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
I don't get it.
Maybe it's old age ... no ... no ... it is lack of sleep. Yep, that's my excuse ... lack of sleep.
Lol. Well, the F-1 was bred back to the parent, so while being an F-2, someone might say they could technically be F-1's as well (because the father of the F2 is also the grandfather of the F2), so I was saying they were F1squareds...

Forget it. It was a horrible joke.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #79
ratsncorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post

Forget it. It was a horrible joke.
I got it! Go nerds!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #80
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
The price drops on Ball Python morphs are a clear indication of this trend.
I'm going to have disagree with you there. when given the choice; invest in Ball Pythons or invest in Cornsnakes, Ball Pythons win everytime. You WILL make money if you invest correctly. I personally was investing in Balls until I decided to foucs my efforts 100% on Fat-tails. Now this was only a few short weeks ago and with my sell off I was able to buy several awesome groups of Fat-Tails, and they're not cheap. Balls sell, and they maintain their price very well. The male Banana Ball sells for $60,000. They sold for that last season and are selling for that this season. Mind you that's a sex linked trait. But look at Enchis, they were cheap until a few season ago and now, I wouldn't sell a female Enchi for anything less than $600! Balls are a good investment as long as you don't invest in Pastels and Spiders and other base stuff. Now Corns have lost so much value that they are not worth the investment unless you are working with super high dollar animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google