CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Possibly mites? Help!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
-blaine-
Possibly mites? Help!

So just a second ago i took my corn out of her cage to be handled. Everything was as normal until i spotted one, just one, tiny tiny black bug on her. I haven't seen any more on her or in the cage in the past.

Is this a mite? Could it have been just one?

Everything is kept clean. Only things i can think of is the decor, hides, and water bowl that were purchased from the pet store.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
-blaine-
I just scanned her cage with a bright light and didn't see any bugs in her water bowl, around her hides, on her, or in the substrate.

Could it be something else or an isolated incident?

She is still eating and not acting bothered by anything.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Lyion
There are many types of bugs that could be in there. If you only saw one, I would guess its a coincidence. But I tend to rinse off the stuff I buy, just in case.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
-blaine-
Tomorrow i will clean and wash everything just in case!

Any behavior to look for when dealing with mites?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Lyion
Not that I know of. You could always rub her down with a damp towel and see if anything comes off.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by -blaine- View Post
Tomorrow i will clean and wash everything just in case!

Any behavior to look for when dealing with mites?
Snakes with mites often spend a lot of time soaking in their water bowls, probably because of the irritation.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
-blaine-
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Snakes with mites often spend a lot of time soaking in their water bowls, probably because of the irritation.
I also read that somewhere. She has not been doing this at all that i've seen and she is pretty active.

I took everything out of her viv and soaked it in hot water, throw out all old aspen and cleaned tank with hot water, then replaced the substrate and the decor.

When cleaning i didn't see any kind of bugs in the water. She just ate two pinkies like normal so maybe it was isolated or i luckily caught the could be beginning of an infestation!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by -blaine- View Post
I also read that somewhere. She has not been doing this at all that i've seen and she is pretty active.

I took everything out of her viv and soaked it in hot water, throw out all old aspen and cleaned tank with hot water, then replaced the substrate and the decor.

When cleaning i didn't see any kind of bugs in the water. She just ate two pinkies like normal so maybe it was isolated or i luckily caught the could be beginning of an infestation!
Sounds good. Make sure you check around her eye, mites burrow in the space right around the eyeball and are easier to see there. If you are still worried then food-grade diatomaceous earth (a powder you can get from gardening or animal feed stores) will kill insects and mites without harming the snake

Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
j33p3rz
I would take the substrate out everything out but a hide and water until you know for sure.Lay down some paper towels they are easier to spot.Check in the water bowl real close too.When I found out mine had mites they soaked in the water bowl.There is different methods to rid these mites if thats what you have,I used NIX done a great job for me.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
beautifullywild77
Yes there is behavior that comes with mites, excess rubbing of the head on anything and everything. (Mites love to hide under the chin in between the scales and around the eyes) And like Diamondlil said they soak a lot to drowned the mites and sooth the irritation of the scales.

Even with just one mite, you could still have eggs. I would get mite off or something like that. Put her on paper towels. and treat the tank everything 3 days. You can spray down some paper towels and put them in a zip lock bag for the next tank cage. Mite eggs hatch every 2 weeks. I would also put vasaline at the top of her tank. Mites cant pass through it to get out of the tank.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google