CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Change from frozen to live

Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
GarethUnsworth
Change from frozen to live

Hi, my friend has a male jungle corn that is a couple years old. For most of its life it has been fed F/T mice. However, my friend wants to change to live mice. We have tried putting the snake (piglette) in with a live mouse and it almost seems like its scared of it. One time out of the two times the snake did kill the mouse but then didnt eat it.

Any theories?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
RobbiesCornField
Leave it on f/t. Short, sweet, and to the point.
Live is dangerous. F/t is humane.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethUnsworth View Post
Hi, my friend has a male jungle corn that is a couple years old. For most of its life it has been fed F/T mice. However, my friend wants to change to live mice. We have tried putting the snake (piglette) in with a live mouse and it almost seems like its scared of it. One time out of the two times the snake did kill the mouse but then didnt eat it.

Any theories?
So let me get this straight....
your friend has an adult jungle that has grown and thrived on f/t mice.
So, for no good reason at all he wants to change to live, risking parasites, and bites and scratches from a terrified rodent that can feel pain and fear like any other living thing.

Aside from risking the health and welfare of his snake (his PET that is depending on him to keep it healthy and safe), and aside from needlessly torturing a small animal for no good reason, oh yes, sounds just fine to me.....

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Sarah1228
Yeah, I agree with Robbiescornfield. If you don't care about doing it the humane way, Why would you even want to stress the snake out? That's sad. If its doing fine in F/T then leave it be.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Sarah1228
Thumbs up

I Agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
So let me get this straight....
your friend has an adult jungle that has grown and thrived on f/t mice.
So, for no good reason at all he wants to change to live, risking parasites, and bites and scratches from a terrified rodent that can feel pain and fear like any other living thing.

Aside from risking the health and welfare of his snake (his PET that is depending on him to keep it healthy and safe), and aside from needlessly torturing a small animal for no good reason, oh yes, sounds just fine to me.....

Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
beautifullywild77
I don't see a reason to change from f/t to live. Unless your friend just wants to get some kind of sick thrill from watching a snake kill a live rodent. Too many risks to the snake and not very nice for the mouse.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
taxman123
I agree why switch. Now if you are feeding live cause you are breeding the mice then pre kill them before you put in the tub you never want to feed live the mouse can injure your snake in seconds. If its not broken dont fix it!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
7legion77
Speaking from experience, I feed live and my snake DID get bitten a week ago. I watched it happen. The bites aren't serious, but I got lucky.

So its up to your friend if he thinks the sick thrill is worth taking a risk you'd probably never recover from (if you really love your pet)

Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
beautifullywild77
Wow Legion, I am glad your snake wasnt seriously injured, got really lucky!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post
Speaking from experience, I feed live and my snake DID get bitten a week ago. I watched it happen. The bites aren't serious, but I got lucky.

So its up to your friend if he thinks the sick thrill is worth taking a risk you'd probably never recover from (if you really love your pet)
... I think my brain just broke. Aren't you the same person who tossed a live finch in with your snake?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google