CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Change from frozen to live

Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethUnsworth View Post
wow I did not know this would be such a strong topic. I feed my snake live, for no particular reason its just what I started. However, I am now considering the switch the opposite way. I have also shared your feelings with my friend.
You can find hundreds of threads on this topic by using the search function.
I have a corn that I got from some people off craiglist, I have counted at least 12 scars on her from rodent bites. One in particular could have killed her very easily, as it was in the middle of the top of her head. The first few times I offered her food, she almost seemed terrified that she was going to get bit. She has finally realized that the mice are not going to harm her anymore. She does still constrict them, but the fear just isn't there.

There are NO good reasons to feed live.

There are a million good reasons to feed frozen thawed.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
starsevol
Also, if your snake has eaten live I would suggest that you take a fecal sample to your vet. I can almost guarantee your snake has parasites.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
wow I did not know this would be such a strong topic. I feed my snake live, for no particular reason its just what I started. However, I am now considering the switch the opposite way. I have also shared your feelings with my friend.
It's really much safer in the long run. If the snake is fearful of live prey, as well as already being on frozen thawed, there is no reason to switch.

Think of it along the lines of feeding a dog kibble all it's life, then suddenly putting it in a room with a rabbit and telling it "now you eat these." It can be confusing and scary for the animal.

If a snake is doing well and eating frozen thawed, there is no logical argument to switch. Zero health benefit, zero quality of life benefit, nothing, no reason. It does not make them feel like more of a snake.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #24
7legion77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
... I think my brain just broke. Aren't you the same person who tossed a live finch in with your snake?
Of course your brain broke... a drunk person can be utterly different when sober...

I got the finch idea from a youtube video I watched...

...actually I'm quite over the sick thrills by now.

Anyhow, I tried feeding a p/k to my snake last night... and he wouldn't eat it! First time he's ever turned down a meal. Its as if he was scared of the dead mouse, or scared of me or something... or perhaps he's going into early shed to heal from those bites. I wouldn't think a reptile could develop a "learned fear" from a bad fight with a mouse.

Any ideas why he's suddenly not eating?? Should I offer him one tonight or wait a few days/wait for him to shed?

Lets hope this is but an anomaly...

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
7legion77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post
Of course your brain broke... a drunk person can be utterly different when sober...

I got the finch idea from a youtube video I watched...

...actually I'm quite over the sick thrills by now.

Anyhow, I tried feeding a p/k to my snake last night... and he wouldn't eat it! First time he's ever turned down a meal. Its as if he was scared of the dead mouse, or scared of me or something... or perhaps he's going into early shed to heal from those bites. I wouldn't think a reptile could develop a "learned fear" from a bad fight with a mouse.

Any ideas why he's suddenly not eating?? Should I offer him one tonight or wait a few days/wait for him to shed?

Lets hope this is but an anomaly...
Oh and he's accepted p/k before so I don't think he has a preference for live.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7legion77 View Post

Is he blue? Plenty of snakes won't eat when blue. If so, I would wait. No matter what the reason for refusal was, I would wait until the next scheduled feeding to offer food again.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
GarethUnsworth
would you all say that feeding live could make a snake more aggressive towards its owner?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #28
diamondlil
Quote:
would you all say that feeding live could make a snake more aggressive towards its owner?
Only if it bears you a grudge

Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
the_edsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Ugh, you are right. But I think Lavender did it as well.
Absolutely disgusting, "people" like this give this whole hobby a black eye.
Turns my stomach that I am the same species as someone who could do that.
It does make more logical sense to feed F/T than live. There are other logical arguments that can be made about husbandry, housing, etc.

But I would like to say a word about the seemingly arbitrary moral norms established (and appealed to) on this site, and of course, by extension, to those who stand by them with vitriol and righteousness. Let’s be absolutely clear about something: we are hobbyists, keeping and/or breeding reptiles that have been captured from the wild purely for our own amusement (as they serve no other purpose as livestock or otherwise). We then produce and consume hundreds or thousands of small warm blooded rodents for them, and ultimately for the same end: our own amusement. It would be very easy to construct an argument that this entire process is indulgent, unnatural, and amoral. Of course, counterarguments can be made (in the same of science etc.) but let’s just be honest with ourselves here (as I have yet to see a proper clinical study done in this hobby, other than the one Kathy Love touches on at the end of her book concerning hatch rates). I understand that this is a site created for and by those very hobbyists, and as such, this kind of argument will never become a normative opinion here. But I will say this: the immediacy with which people castigate anyone deviating from that arbitrary norm, to be euphemistic about it, is an act of constructing the biggest, shiniest glass house on the block.

I understand this is a ‘macro’ look at the subject, but sometimes it isn’t a bad idea to take a few steps back and reevaluate a subject with some distance.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_edsta View Post
It does make more logical sense to feed F/T than live. There are other logical arguments that can be made about husbandry, housing, etc.

But I would like to say a word about the seemingly arbitrary moral norms established (and appealed to) on this site, and of course, by extension, to those who stand by them with vitriol and righteousness. Let’s be absolutely clear about something: we are hobbyists, keeping and/or breeding reptiles that have been captured from the wild purely for our own amusement (as they serve no other purpose as livestock or otherwise). We then produce and consume hundreds or thousands of small warm blooded rodents for them, and ultimately for the same end: our own amusement. It would be very easy to construct an argument that this entire process is indulgent, unnatural, and amoral. Of course, counterarguments can be made (in the same of science etc.) but let’s just be honest with ourselves here (as I have yet to see a proper clinical study done in this hobby, other than the one Kathy Love touches on at the end of her book concerning hatch rates). I understand that this is a site created for and by those very hobbyists, and as such, this kind of argument will never become a normative opinion here. But I will say this: the immediacy with which people castigate anyone deviating from that arbitrary norm, to be euphemistic about it, is an act of constructing the biggest, shiniest glass house on the block.

I understand this is a ‘macro’ look at the subject, but sometimes it isn’t a bad idea to take a few steps back and reevaluate a subject with some distance.
Cutting through this pointy-headed overeducated blather, and please correct me if I am wrong, I am getting that since we keep these animals and consume rodents for our own amusement this whole hobby can be considered amoral. The same can be said for any pet that is kept.
However, even though snakes are kept for our amusement there is a huge difference between intentionally causing pain and distress for ANY living thing needlessly, and doing what must be done as humanely as possible. Also, any keeper that keeps these creatures for their own amusement who fails to do what is needed to keep them safe and healthy is not much of a keeper at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google