CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Questions on water.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
PantherThom
Questions on water.

I've just become a snake owner and want to do everything right, and I've heard that not just any water will do, all I have access to is my kitchen sink water and was wondering if that is bad, and if so should I remove the water immediately/how bad is it? I researched and researched a bunch about snakes before getting Olaf (adult corn) and I only now came across this water issue. Please help, thank you.

~PT

Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Pugsley
PT- I suspect your water is fine. Water in the valley isn't usually too hard, nor does it have many problems.

Are you going to go to the reptile show in Wilsonville this Saturday, the 18th of August. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
PantherThom
Sadly no I won't be going, but hopefully I'll be able to attend some in the future! Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be here, seems like a really nice online community.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
cornsnakeforsale_com
Only thing I can think of is chlorine. From my fish days I'm remembering it evaporates after a couple of days. Just fill up something to use to pour it when you need it.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Weda737
There is a product you can put in their water to make it safer if you like.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Sarah1228
I use normal tap water for my animals with no problems. Plus, I change the water daily to make sure they have fresh water. I drink it all the time and I've been fine!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
dave partington
I use tap water, fill up gallon jugs with it and let it sit a couple days, then use it.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
bitsy
I use chlorinated water straight from the tap for my gang and haven't had a problem.

My general view is that if your domestic supply is safe for human consumption from the tap, then it's probably fine for Corns. The added chemicals don't appear to have had any impact on mine and my 24 year old has been drinking it all his life.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
PantherThom
Weda737 - and what would that be? Thanks everyone for the helpful hints.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
Weda737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherThom View Post
Weda737 - and what would that be? Thanks everyone for the helpful hints.
Zoomed's Reptisafe Water Conditioner. I believe my local petsmart carries it. I've been thinking about getting it because sometimes I can really smell the chlorine in my water. And yes letting it sit makes it safer but a dark secret of bottled water is that it has much more bacteria than fresh from the tap water. When it sits in a bottle like that the bacteria just grows. I've just been using it fresh and not letting it sit, since I had a ball python die from blister disease a few years ago I've been really careful to keep my soaking bowls and substrate scrupulously clean. Even bought a bottle of F10

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google