CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

I know this isn't a corn... but...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #21
SnakesAndStuff

Looks good, even in blue!

I measured the snake out around 4'3" give or take a few inches. Here I am holding the animal for size reference. I'm about 6'1" 220lbs. The snake being on the thin side makes it look tiny in the photos. Also, sorry about the watermarks, but I've too many times have had photos stolen, misrepresented, and even people contacting me with my own photos trying to sell me animals they don't have.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesAndStuff View Post
Also, sorry about the watermarks, but I've too many times have had photos stolen, misrepresented, and even people contacting me with my own photos trying to sell me animals they don't have.
Wow; that's pretty bad!

How is his temperament?

Kathy

Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #23
crotalis40741
I really hope that is a heritable trait, it is an amazing animal. Big congrats on it. Oh can we breed it to one of our Ky. calicos lol

Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
SnakesAndStuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac101 View Post
How is his temperament?
Temperment is very laid back, calm, easy to handle. I hope to breed it to like-temperment animals. It seems that the more "Texas" rat snakes in this area tend to have more attitude where the more "black" rat snake trait animals tend to be very laid back to the point where you can pick them up out the wild with no worries of them biting.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
SnakesAndStuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
Oh can we breed it to one of our Ky. calicos
I don't see why not. I have a hunch that one of the traits will "override" the other and you might not get experssion of both, even if the animal is double homozygous recessive. Who knows... It could also produce a "calico" with large white blotches, or anything in between.

If you're serious about breeding it into a calico line, just be sure to get me a female in time for quarantine before next years breeding season.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #26
hikisquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesAndStuff View Post
Also, sorry about the watermarks, but I've too many times have had photos stolen, misrepresented, and even people contacting me with my own photos trying to sell me animals they don't have.[/center]
How could they think of stealing such a magnificent beard?

Lovely snake, I've always been really interested in spotty and blotchy creatures. Extra neat that it is so laid back, that's always a good trait for domestic snakes!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #27
Weda737
Sorry if I'm repeating someone, but those keeled scales pretty much say black rat to me. My black rat female feels so much different in my hands than my corns do so I know what you mean about the 'feel.' Anyway, how lucky you are! I'd flip my **** if I found something like that!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #28
SnakesAndStuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weda737 View Post
Anyway, how lucky you are! I'd flip my **** if I found something like that!
This is one of those times where truth is stranger than fiction. I did not catch the animal. One of my friends did. Twice.

He caught it, took a photo, let it go. He then sent me a photo and told me about it and when I asked where it was he informed me he had let it go about 10 minutes previous.. .He went to where he let it go and could not find it. A few days later he caught it again in his yard, just out in the open, near his bird houses. He called me again and asked me if I'd like it. That is part of the reason why this animal is definitely not for sale (outside of it technically being a native animal, etc. it is legal to posess, but not sale)... It was a gift from a friend. Being that the snake was thin, it was hanging out in the open, and has numerous scars I figured it was ethically acceptable to remove the snake from the wild population and try to propogate it in captivity.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #29
AliCat37
An absolutely beautiful animal, whether it be a rat snake, corn snake, hybrid, or alien. I hope you can propagate the gene successfully, and I also hope the snake thrives for you. A snake like that is a lucky find. Put me in line for some babies!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #30
Weda737
I love the story to this guy, I think he must have needed your help. Some things are just meant to happen. Seriously, no kidding, put me down for one of his kids too if he thrives and propagates for you. Knock on wood.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google