CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

What morph is this corn snake?

Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
jagodzinski
I can't totally tell from the picture - is the kink below the vent?

And no - Red is not a defect! He is a very cute snake with a unique looking tail. And as long as a kink is not severe (and it doesn't look like it) - it will not impact quality of life or anything. Just need to make sure Red is able to eat (check), poop (hopefully soon) and shed okay.

The reason you don't want to breed kinked snakes is because it can be genetic. If it gets passed on, the babies could have a much more severe kink than the parent which might cause them to suffer - so I would really recommend not breeding Red.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
And that might not be a kink. It could just be the camera angle and lighting and the position of the snake.

It would be better if you could get some better pictures of him directly from above and while he is straightened out.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #13
CornySnakeUser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagodzinski View Post
I can't totally tell from the picture - is the kink below the vent?

And no - Red is not a defect! He is a very cute snake with a unique looking tail. And as long as a kink is not severe (and it doesn't look like it) - it will not impact quality of life or anything. Just need to make sure Red is able to eat (check), poop (hopefully soon) and shed okay.

The reason you don't want to breed kinked snakes is because it can be genetic. If it gets passed on, the babies could have a much more severe kink than the parent which might cause them to suffer - so I would really recommend not breeding Red.
It's right at the vent. http://postimg.org/image/9yoa8g9sx/
http://postimg.org/image/7di91k3hd/

I meant defect as in a severe kink. If it was fed on Thursday, should it have defecated by now? I'm positive it's a kink. It's definitely not just the lighting and angle, as I noticed it when handling it before purchase as well. The weak part appears to be made up for with overwhelming strength elsewhere. It also appears to be able to grip my pinky with just the weak part and hover for a few seconds above my hand. If it's moving normal speed, it stretches out. If he's being strong/showing off/going about 80% normal speed or less, he tends to encircle it around the part in front of the kink and then descend from my fingers, using the kink as a safety belt.

If advisable, I could attempt to strengthen it by having him hold onto my fingers with the weak part.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #14
hypnoctopus
If he has no belly checkers, then I would say he is a fire (amel plus bloodred).

That looks like a kink to me. Their pooping schedules can really vary and with a tiny baby like that, you may have a hard time even finding his poop, especially if you're keeping him on a loose substrate like aspen. I wouldn't worry about trying to strengthen the area. I would keep him in a simple setup on paper towels to see if he will be able to poop.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #15
CornySnakeUser
OK. He adjusts well to his life with it, as it seems to have a very precise gripping mechanism. I'll try to get a picture of him climbing my hands using it as a safety belt. Hopefully he's okay.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #16
CornsAustria
fire was my first thought too

Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
CornySnakeUser
Fire is possible, but he has quite a bit of white for a fire. Is that normal for a juvenile/hatchling? I should probably mention he's no more than two weeks old, in case you can't tell by the size.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
hypnoctopus
They will lose more and more white with each shed. And the head pattern will fill in with red/orange.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
hypnoctopus
Here's a picture of one of my fires when she was a new little baby:

And here's a picture of her just a few months later:

Old 05-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #20
CornySnakeUser
Thanks for the pictures!

Great looking snake, by the way. Are there any special personalities or other things about the fires you've noticed? Looking over the pictures, fires seem to be among the top three best looking, at least in my opinion. The Bloodred and Miami-Dade are nice looking too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google