CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Colourful snow or something else?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
malaw
Colourful snow or something else?

This is a new snow female I just picked up. Her parents were both snows, one being a green spot but the breeder didn't know what hets they had. They also threw out an RO in the clutch. The reason I'm asking is that she seems very colourful for such a young corn, she's about 8 months. She appears to have a yellow blush and her pinks are as strong as my hatchling opal, way stronger than my other snows. She has the yellow throat coming through very strong and her belly checkers are yellow not translucent. I was wondering if maybe she had hypo or something else going on or is she just a very colourful snow?

Pics show her next to my other snow of the same age for comparison. The photo has washed some of the colour out unfortunately. She is actually a little more saturated in person.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Corning
Pretty either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
malaw
Thanks. I saw her and couldn't pass her up. I'm dying to see what she grows into.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
BeauBoi
My first corn snake (the snake that lead me to join this site), is a snow. I posted several threads (here and elsewhere) asking essentially the same questions about mine that you are asking here about your snake.
In the end, I determined that mine is a green-spot snow, but that is really just a "guesstimation" lol.
Mine is a yearling now, and she has maintained her "pink-heavy" coloration, in addition to the recent development of some striking yellows (bordering on russet-gold) and very noticeable neon-green edging to the borders of her saddles.
Again, me calling mine a "Green Spotted Snow" comes solely from my research on the Internet. Unfortunately, as I am sure you have learned, it is very difficult to capture the subtle colors on a snow via photography....

Best Wishes!
~Beau

Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
malaw
Thanks for the reply. After speaking to another couple of breeders we have come to the conclusion that she may very well be a hypo snow. It's true, photos don't show snows' colours well, one of my others is a green spot but the lime green does not show on photos, he also has a fair bit of pink and some nice yellows coming in but he is 2 years old now. His colours where no where near as bright as this girl's are at her age. In a few years I shall probably breed her, maybe then I'll find out for sure.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:17 AM   #6
NiklasTyreso
There are many projects breeding pink snows. The strawberry hypo gene were found this way but many pink snows have their origin in selectively bred snows without any single gene.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #7
malaw
That's interesting, thanks.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
Dragonling
Hypo (A or B) + amel is indistinguishable from amel. This tends to also be the case when other genes are at play. For years people thought hypo and strawberry made snows pink but this has since been disproven. The confusion is compounded by the fact that many breeders overseas referred to any pink snow as a strawberry, regardless of whether they thought they contained the gene.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #9
malaw
I see, thanks. So she's just a pink snow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
morph, snow