CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Is my baby a normal?

Old 07-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Hthr91
Is my baby a normal?

So I am a first time owner. I think my girl is beautiful and I assume she's a normal but I haven't seen any pictures that look quite like her. Thanks!!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
her coloring will change as she gets bigger. But yes, she looks to me like one of the Normal patterns.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
DollysMom
Looks like and normal to me, and wow, she is a beauty!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
sdavis2
I too just got a normal and wasn't sure but was told he was by some very educated members. So stay tuned you'll know shortly!! I will say your looks different than mine.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
The word "Normal" when referring to corn snakes is pretty broad. They can look a bit different from region to region, and then even then, there are variations. The breeders that sell to pet shops cross breed and come up with some wild looking colors, but the term "Normal" usually refers to a Wild type like you might see when out hiking.

In Pic 1, this coloring is called the "Alabama Normal"

Pic 2, The "Carolina Normal"

Pic 3, The "Okeetee Normal"

Pic 4, the "Miami Normal"

These are some of the most notable Normal Patterns, although I live here in Tennessee, our wild corn snakes actually look a lot like the Alabama snake. The Carolina Normal tends to be more orange in color. The Okeetee has more Red and the black markings around the saddles are thicker. The Alabama and Miami versions have more Grey in them. If you purchase a "Normal Corn snake" from a store, it could be one of these or any sort of variation. The Normals have the saddles going down their backs, and the dark eyes. The yellow corn snakes, striped corn snakes, Red eyed Corn snakes, etc, are not considered normals.

You'll notice in the pictures above, there are some distinct color variations, but all of the snakes have dark eyes, and the saddles on their back.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Hthr91
Is she motley since she has like the circular figures? That still makes her a normal right? Thanks so much for the great answers!

Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
Actually, if you look closely at the other pictures, they have the circular pattern up towards their heads. Your snake is young, and they will look different when grown, but I would compare your's to the "Alabama" pic 1. They look very similar.

You can go to the following website: http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/

There you can view pictures of the wild types, and the cross bred morphs.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
DollysMom
Motleys don't have belly checkers. So if your snake has checkers it's not a motley.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #9
sdavis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
The word "Normal" when referring to corn snakes is pretty broad. They can look a bit different from region to region, and then even then, there are variations. The breeders that sell to pet shops cross breed and come up with some wild looking colors, but the term "Normal" usually refers to a Wild type like you might see when out hiking.

In Pic 1, this coloring is called the "Alabama Normal"

Pic 2, The "Carolina Normal"

Pic 3, The "Okeetee Normal"

Pic 4, the "Miami Normal"

These are some of the most notable Normal Patterns, although I live here in Tennessee, our wild corn snakes actually look a lot like the Alabama snake. The Carolina Normal tends to be more orange in color. The Okeetee has more Red and the black markings around the saddles are thicker. The Alabama and Miami versions have more Grey in them. If you purchase a "Normal Corn snake" from a store, it could be one of these or any sort of variation. The Normals have the saddles going down their backs, and the dark eyes. The yellow corn snakes, striped corn snakes, Red eyed Corn snakes, etc, are not considered normals.

You'll notice in the pictures above, there are some distinct color variations, but all of the snakes have dark eyes, and the saddles on their back.
Wait so Karl, I'm pretty sure you answered my "is this a normal" question. Is mine an Alabama normal???!! Had no idea there were different "normals"

Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
sdavis2
Nvm you didn't answer it but I just saw another knowledgable poster tell me mine is too! Thanks for posting that though Karl. I always assumed "normals" all looked like Carolinas!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google