CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Mucus

Old 03-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Seaweedthesnake
Mucus

Hello!

I’ve already gotten an opinion that I trust on this but if anyone else has any thoughts I would appreciate them!

I’ve got a very handsome 2017 Bloodred. He looks great, I did look him over and I don’t see any cause for concern in my knowledge. I’m no expert and it’s very possible I missed something or am unaware of something I should be looking for so any suggestions in that area are welcome as well. His behavior seems normal too, he’s pretty calm but still exploratory, flicking his tongue.

He’s got a 72.3 degree cool end and a 86.1 degree warm end. He’s got lots of hides (5, spread out), a branch and foliage cover (all fake) and his enclosure is 30 inches long, glass. He’s got aspen deep enough for burrowing and a little bit of sphagnum (this probably spelled wrong sorry) moss. Medium sized water dish. Using UTH, thermostat and temp gun.

*if there was absolutely any other sign of a problem he’d be on his way to the vet right now. I will be watching him and if this repeats I will take a sample and/or any thing else arises I will take him straight to the vet! I just don’t think this justifies a long and stressful car ride quite yet. The poop and urates even seem okay it’s just that mucus.

Thank you!

Here are some links to pictures of the excretion in question.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/pic...ictureid=16762

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/pic...ictureid=16761

Old 03-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Seaweedthesnake
I couldn’t stop worrying about him so I called my vet and I’m going to take him tonight!

Old 03-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #3
Seaweedthesnake
I just paid 70$ to find out I’m a paranoid freak and that he is the picture of health! Which is great in a way but his breeder literally told me he was likely just fine unless it happens again (which is what the vet said). I feel like a doofus but it’s like a double reassurance which I suppose you can’t put a price on.

Some things I’ve learned:
1. I need to relax
2. I am lucky to have been able to get/be provided with such a beautiful and healthy snake
3. I have a seemingly wonderful vet (if anyone is looking especially in the Portland metro area Oregon there are pretty knowledgeable exotics vets through the VCA specifically Hillsboro is where I go but they have VCA animal hospitals in 43/50 states and in some places in Canada too)
4. If anyone sees this and experiences something similar don’t freak out because your snake is probably fine. *not a guarantee, I am not a vet and it is never a bad idea to take your pet to the vet to be sure or reassured or double triple quadruple reassured!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
Twolunger
You did the appropriate thing and you are not paranoid. I also check the feces of my snakes to notice any changes or things out of the ordinary. I'm curious as to what the vets thought that discharge actually was, if you brought it to them?

Old 03-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Seaweedthesnake
Thank you! While not the most fun part of having a snake I think that’s definitely a good practice! So I didn’t bring it, I didn’t realize when I was cleaning it up that that would be necessary I just wanted to get it out and of his space. If it happens again I will need to (and I know that now) but I did take some quick pictures of it which the vet looked over. He says it looked and seems like just a stress dropping, if they feel overwhelmed it can cause the excretions not to completely form/form incorrectly before the snake feels like he needs to get them out. It doesn’t look like there are any indigested mouse parts or actual digestive fluids present so he’s likely just not quite used to his new home yet!

It was recommended I just keep an eye on him and give him a few more days to settle in than normal.

Thank you for reading this and leaving a comment!

Old 03-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Corning
Nothing wrong with being conscientious. Better than thinking you know it all and missing something. Now you can be confident that your baby is healthy and with in normal limits as we say in health care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Seaweedthesnake
Thank you!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google