CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Yellow Okeetee?

Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 PM   #41
BlueKing
Thanks Joe. . .Once again!!!

Thanks for the insight! I do appreciate it! Might have to go your route after all, it seems to make more sense . . . When double clutching, when would the first mating occur, and when would the second one occur (what time frame do you use?) I'm about to put all my snakes, Kings & corns down for the winter in two weeks. Thanks again, Joe!
Still can' post pics though. The "manage attachment" button looks good, but isn't doing ANYTHING!!! - - - ??? - Dadnabitt. . . @&*^!($#!!!!

Zee

Old 11-19-2004, 12:23 AM   #42
ecreipeoj
Nothing is set in stone when it comes to the timing of the matings that produce the first clutch and the second clutch, but I can give you some guides. Brumating your corns for 2-3 months helps a lot with the timing side of things.

Generally, the first mating will occur about 7 - 10 days after the first shed out of brumation. If the female sheds very soon after brumation, then don’t count that shed. I would say that this first mating will occur 3 - 5 weeks out of brumation.

The second breeding is a little more tricky, but if all goes well, then the female will be receptive 7 - 10 days after her first shed after her first clutch is laid. This will occur about 3 - 4 weeks after the first clutch is laid. Most of the time the females will lay their second clutch very near to the time the first clutch hatches. If we figure 65 day incubation period at 82 - 83 degrees, this means the mating took place about 35 days before and would put the timing of the second mating in the above time frame that I laid out.

Other tid bits of info to get females to double clutch. Feed them heavily. When they are gravid, if they refuse a normal meal try a delicacy like a fuzzy mouse. Really try to get them to eat something right after they lay their first clutch. Some will eat a mouse of normals size right away and some will not want to eat at all until they shed. Usually, I can coax these into eating live fuzzies or something like that.

Do not get the males too warm. I do not let mine get over 80 degrees. I keep my room at 82 and the males are on the bottom selves. It does not hurt to put a male with a female once a week right out of brumation so you do not miss the first mating and you can also do this for the second mating. Generally speaking, it is pretty obvious if a female is receptive or not. The matings will normally take place with in 5 minutes after the female is introduced to the male and sometimes almost immediately otherwise nothing is going to happen. If there is a lot of commotion in the cage and the female is obviously not interested in the males advances take her out.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #43
Sasheena
If you want to email photos to me, you can, I'll post them for you!

isophecles@yahoo.com

Old 11-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #44
BlueKing
Thanks! for the info! Also thanks for assiting me in the photo . . .

Thanks Joe! I will keep in touch as I am STILL thinking about the options!

SASHEENA: Thanks for offering to help me! I will take you up on that offer and mail you some pics this weekend! I will take some new (outdoor) pics of her tomorrow/Sunday (weather permitting).

Just tried the "manage attachments" again - still nothing happens!____???????????

Zee

Old 11-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #45
drizzt_19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKing
Still can' post pics though. The "manage attachment" button looks good, but isn't doing ANYTHING!!! - - - ??? - Dadnabitt. . . @&*^!($#!!!!

Zee

If you have a pop-up blocker make sure you turn it off...

Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #46
BlueKing
Hey!!! It works . . . .(the attachment button). . .

Thanks drizzt_19 ! I can post some pics now. Here's one with the yellow corn on an old carpet. I will take some outdoor pics tomorrow (weather permitting).
Thanks again,

Zee

Old 11-20-2004, 02:11 AM   #47
starwarsdad
Well, if you are using an image manipulation program, I give you credit for being damn good! To keep the color that consistent across multiple backgrounds would require more than just a Photoshop hobbyist.

Beautiful specimen! Please keep the pics coming

Old 11-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #48
howiet4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKing
I will breed her to very red looking WC male that I found not too far away from her (maybe this will help intensify the yellow in the F2/F3 generations?)
If I can double clutch her (she's getting nice n' thick from eating so good)then I would like the next breeding with a nice caramel corn - maybe one of yours?
Your thoughts?

I took a pic of her earlier but can't get the "manage attachments" button to do anything (I tried and tried)? Any way I can post a pic on here? It worked the other day, but only that day! What's up with that - HELP??? Thanks!!!

Zee

I am an expert on everything, but I know so little and have so much to learn! - Carsten Zoldy -

So you do plan on breeding her in the spring? If so, I would like my name on the waiting list for one of the hatchlings!

What a beautiful snake! Congrats!

Old 11-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #49
Jynx
she does have the faint stripes, which could mean she is a hybrid with a yellow rat. She does look more corn than anything though, so if she's a hybrid, she's probably an f2 or f3. I think the easiest way to tell is the eyes. Every striped yellow rat I've had has amber eyes almost the same color as their ground color. Can you post a close up of her head and her eyes? (if she lets you) Maybe this is a more extreme version of a hyperxanthin...more so than carmel and butter that isn't an offshoot of the trait. The background color and blotch color seem too similar, like if it wasn't those thick borders, she would be completely gold snake with no difference in background/blotch color. Ooh how exciting!!!!

I'm pretty sure that when she does clutch, it will be a few years until any of those babies are up for sale...

Old 11-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #50
Spirit
Whatever she is, she's absolutely STUNNING.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google