CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Transparent Hypo? Blue Ice?

Old 09-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #41
ecreipeoj
Hi Carol

Hi Carol,
That is the same Striped Lavender that you saw at the San Diego Show. I will post a photo of him when he was born. When you saw him, he was about 4 months old. They change very dramatically as they grow. The striped gene has a lightening effect when it is combined with other genes and the snake is double homozygous for both. It is not like a hypo gene and I do not understand it, but something is definitely going on. All of mine so far have a lot of pink, so they are basically just lavender and pink striped snakes. I am sure that we can get more contrasting stripes bred into these guys. The lavenders without pink would most likely have more contrasting stripes. If you like the faded stripes, then I guess we have them already. I think I like the extremes of both the perfect contrasting stripes and the almost solid colored snakes.

I expect that the other Striped Lavender Corns that you have seen pictures of are just as nice as these guys are. It will be nice to have Striped Lavenders available from different sources. I am sure this is not the first time a new morph has been created by different people at approximately the same time, but in this case unrelated hatchlings will be available in the beginning, so the Striped Lavenders should have a strong start. I know they are all distantly related, because they all have the lavender and striped genes, but you know what I mean.

As far as the Hypo Striped is concerned, turn off your computer for a year and you would miss a lot too. I have been purposely keeping away for longer than that, so I was not up to date on all of the new morphs out there. I guess I need to get started on Trans Hypo Stripes and “Blue Ice” Stripes. I should have some Trans Hypo Lavenders next year. I will be anxiously awaiting to see the hatchlings. Hopefully, the will look much different than the Hypo Lavenders. They will most likely be very similar, but a little different.

Thank you for the complements. I would have to agree with you, but I am very bias.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #42
ecreipeoj
Hatchling Lavender Striped Corn Snake

The first of its kind as far as I know.

Sorry guys, I get disconected every time I try to post a picture here . I don't seem to have a good connection with this site at this time. Email me with a request to see the Striped Lavenders hatchling photo that I posted earlier if you want to see it. I will try to get it on here later, but have become frustrated.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:40 PM   #43
ecreipeoj
Hatchling Lavender Striped Corn Snake

One more try.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #44
Darin Chappell
You must have really been hopping up and down when you saw THAT baby crawl out of the egg!!!

Very nice, indeed!

Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 PM   #45
ecreipeoj
"Paradox" Blue Ice yearling

This yearling Paradox Blue Ice Corn Snake has black tips around its blotches all over its body. Don’t ask me how this is possible on a hypo snake, because I have no idea. It is not suppose to happen that is why it is a paradox.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #46
ecreipeoj
Paradox Trans Hypo Hatchling

This Paradox Tran Hypo has a considerable amount of black wash scattered around in his blotches and normal black areas.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #47
ecreipeoj
Paradox Blue Ice Hatchling

This hatchling Paradox Blue Ice has black pigment on its neck.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #48
ecreipeoj
Test Breeding Proposal with Hypo Corns

Test Breeding Proposal with Hypo Corns:

I was thinking about all of the possible different genetic hypomelanistic corn snakes that are out there in the corn snake world at this very moment. I know there are at least three different hypo genes. We can call them Type “A” (Regular) Type “B” (Sunkissed) and Type “C” (Transparent) for now if we wish. There are many more names attached to hypo corn snakes than the different known genes of hypo. Is a Dream, Ultra and Transparent Hypos the same or perhaps the Dream, Ultra and Regular hypo the same. The Dream and Ultra may be different than the other three and we don’t know it. There may be some breeders out there that have bred a Dream or Ultra, to a Regular or Sunkissed Hypo and could report their findings to clear up some of this mess. I personally would like to take our hobby up a notch and find out what hypo genes we are talking about and try to keep better track of it in the future.

My proposal to everyone interested in corn snakes is to test breed the different hypos together next year and find out which line is related to which. If we work together, we can do a great deal of test breeding next year. We can eliminate most of the questions we all have about the different hypo lines next year and not stay in the dark any longer. We will need a coordinator. Someone who is above average in their knowledge of genetics and that we all trust. This coordinator can help set up the needed test breedings that he/she thinks is necessary through volunteers and keep track of the test breedings results that are reported to him/her. It is very possible to do hundreds of test breeding next year if it is coordinated correctly. There is definitely the possibility of errors, either my accident or intentionally, but if enough test are done, the statistics will point to a high probability of accuracy.

Does anybody want to volunteer to be the coordinator or nominate someone. I personally, barely have enough time to take care of my family and my animals as it is so I do not want the job. I can also say that my knowledge of genetics is no greater than anyone else can learn from other breeders in the hobby. I am willing to give several adult Trans Hypos to the parties that the coordinator selects in an effort to answer our questions about the hypomelanistic corn snakes. I happen to have several adult males and females of the Trans hypo line to offer to this project.

Do you think we can do it? Do we have the desire to do it? I bet we can generate an enormous amount of statistical data in one year and the coordinator can organize it and present his or her findings in this forum to all of use in as short a time as the end of next summer. Any and all comments and suggestions will be appreciated and help to achieve our goal, if we choose to do so.

Joe

Old 09-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #49
carol
I think Kat would be a great person to play with that, since she already has access to hypo a, hypo b, and a "ultra hypo". (sorry if I used the wrong term.) I hope she doesn't mind my nomination, lol.
One question I've been wanting to ask...
I don't know if you are aware of the fact that someone else at that same San Diego show was selling corns that were labeled either T- or T+ hypos. Sorry guys I still haven't had time to read up on exactly what these are claiming to be. These hypos looked much like yours. I don't know if you made any "rounds" and talked to any other vendors but I was curious if you got a chance to see those T+/T- hypo corns? I am really curious to see if these would be compatable with yours. They were in one of the front "rows" of the show and if you were looking towards the front of the show from your table last year they were on the right toward the front. I regretfully did not grab a card from them. The snakes were definately different looking than the average hypo, they looked like amels with grey borders and the eyes were dark but with a glowing red about them too. Very hard to describe, much like your animals. I left the show feeling you both had something different, but was uncomfortable putting the $$ on the line at that time.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:59 PM   #50
Kat
Hey Joe,

I'm willing to help with the breeding trials in terms of offering the information I have. We don't necessarily have to require the breeding trials/loans/whatever be soley with adults. People could trade hatchlings of the unknown hypo forms, and then pair them up as they mature.

I have a male Ultrahypo motley adult (only adult I've got carrying that gene), if you don't mind loaning a female, I'd be willing to breed them and report on the findings. I can't loan him out, though, as he's the only one I have, and I need him for some other projects. I -can- tell you that he's not carrying Hypo A... I bred him to an amber from Don S. this year and got normals, caramels, and amels... no hypos of any kind. Alternatively, I can offer a male 'het' offspring in trade for a male het transparent hypo, and pair the het trans hypo with my female holdback when she's old enough.

I say 'het' because I only have the breeder's word that what he calls 'ultrahypo' is recessive... I can elaborate on that more if you like, but it boils down to that it /probably/ is recessive based on what several people have said, but I want to see it for myself before I start selling 'het for ultrahypo'. And I want to test it against sunkissed as well... (I have a female sunkissed to test against him, but she's already earmarked specifically for another project, one that I don't feel comfortable postponing... so I won't know on Ultrahypo/sunkissed until 2005.)

Anyway... that's where I stand.

-Kat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google