CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

A couple of questions before taking the plunge.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
inu009
A couple of questions before taking the plunge.

I've never bred before, but it is a dream of mine to produce baby snakes. My female will be 3 years next year and this year she was extremely restless all May and June, even went off feed. I think she's ready to breed.

1. I've read that it maybe good practice to "exercise" females before breeding to encourage muscle toning. Will handing suffice? Or it does it have to be something intense like swimming? I take all my snakes out everyday, save, for 2 days after feeding.

2. Anyone have experience with giving their females calcium? I want to make this as easy on her as possible. I'm not brumating, so I gather I have about 10 or so feedings until breeding season. If I start now, will it make a difference? Also any recommendations or any brands of calcium and/or multivitamins?

3. Every guide and book I've read has stated to feed the female pretty well/frequently upon the new year. But here is my issue, she was my first corn snake and as a result teeters the line of being "over conditioned" she's about 50 inches (4 foot, 2) and 556.9 grams. She currently eats a jumbo mouse every 14 days unless she's in shed, and I am unsure how to adjust that schedule next year.

Here is a photo of her directly after her last meal