CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Testbreeding Buf x Toffee

Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
slangenbroed
Testbreeding Buf x Toffee

First testbreeding between the buf and the toffee gene. ( from me )
Auratumstriped ( Toffee-amel-striped ) x Orange het motley ( Buf-amel het motley )
6 eggs ( Both genes are dominant)
4 Orange colored motleys
2 Orange colored ( one still in the egg )
There are no visual difference in the animals, not in the motleys and not in the other animals.
All 6 are orange colored ( lucky ? )Or is someone Homo ( the parents )The Orange not possible that she is homo, the auratum could be homo becouse he is from auratumstriped x the same.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
RobbiesCornField
"Or is someone homo" for what? Orange x Auratum would produce all animals expressing the amel gene, because both parents are homo amel. Whether or not they're Orange or Auratum is for you to decide. Pictures would be very helpful, especially to help breach the language barrier.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Nanci
Are the babies "just" amel? and toffee and buf were not the same, so the babies are het toffee and buff?

Or are the babies homo amel and homo toffee/buf, which are the same gene?

Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Nanci
I second Robbie's question- is someone homo _what_?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
BSLMichael
bwahahaha Nanci asked if someone was homo!

ANYWAY! i would love to see pictures

Old 08-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
slangenbroed
Ok
Buf is a dominant gene discoverd in 2001 in holland its a hypoerythristic gene and made a amel into orange.
Toffee is also a dominant gene discoverd in i beleef 2006-2008 in Germany and looks the same and act the same.
This discoveries are made 200 km from each other, the discossion is, if this gene is the same or not the same.
But there is never made a testbreeding between theese genes, so i get a auratumstriped ( Toffee-amel- striped)male and cross him to a Orange het motley female ( Buf-amel-het motley )Becouse this genes are dominant there must be a hetro and a homosygoot form, but they look the same you can not tell witch one is het ore homo, not until breedings are done.
Example Buf
Bn = Buf B for buf, n for wildtype, when we cross a buf to a buf , the punnet square says.

-----B--------n
B----BB------Bn
n----Bn------nn

BB is the buf in homo form
Bn is the buf in hetero form
nn is wildtype

The BB and the Bn looks the same

The Toffee gene act the same.
Now a made this first testbreeding from Buf-amel x Toffee-amel ( let the motley and stripe away )
One thing we now everything must be amel 100%
I got 6 eggs al 6 are amel that ok ,but also Buf ore Toffee becouse all the offspring is Orange .I can not see any difference between them as a wrote.
What i ment with the homo thing is. If the toffee is homosygoot TT then al the ofspring is Toffee-amel ( auratum )But where is the buf there must be buf in the game.If buf and toffee are the same then all animals look the same ( Orange ).If buf and toffee is not the same , this breeding would produce differentsie thats my opinion

Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Nanci
(I always forget about it being dominant- sorry!)

Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Nanci
(And if anyone is having trouble following this, Jan has a really god pictorial illustration of the genetics on his website).

Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
RobbiesCornField
Oh! I think I get it now. My question is why didn't you breed a toffee and a buf with no extra genes? If there were any differences, that would have made them much clearer. In my opinion, buf and toffee are the same gene, but I'd also like to see a regular buf (not orange) and a regular toffee (not auratam) crossed. I think the results could be very interesting.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
slangenbroed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
Oh! I think I get it now. My question is why didn't you breed a toffee and a buf with no extra genes? If there were any differences, that would have made them much clearer. In my opinion, buf and toffee are the same gene, but I'd also like to see a regular buf (not orange) and a regular toffee (not auratam) crossed. I think the results could be very interesting.
i agree but i haven'd a plain toffee, but there is more, look at this link http://iansvivarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8958

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google