CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn snake not growing

Old 10-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #11
hypnoctopus
You're welcome! Feel free to keep us updated with how she's doing.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #12
SecretiveFish
Update: She is now a whopping 22g ! I tried to give her two larger pinkies Saturday, but she only ate one and left the other. She still is not big enough around to handle a fuzzy but will continue to monitor and up her food when she is able.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
hypnoctopus
Yay! Glad to hear it! Once they get into the 20 to 30 gram range, their growth seems like it accelerates.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
MysticExotics
Sometimes they seem to start off slow growing, but then hit a big growth spurt.
Give her time, she will get there.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #15
SecretiveFish
Update: I weighed her last night, and she is now 28 grams (hatched July 2020!). She is eating a larger pinkie every 5 days but refuses doubles. My other similar aged snake is 167g for comparison!

When I place my rodent order soon, I will be getting peach fuzzies for her to see if she will eat those.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:59 PM   #16
Rich Z
One thing you should likely keep in mind is that just like people, not all snakes from the same species, much less even the same clutch, will grow exactly the same. Both in potential size, nor the growth rate. Next time you are out among a crowd of people, take notice of all the size differences. Snakes will have no less variability among them.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #17
SecretiveFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
One thing you should likely keep in mind is that just like people, not all snakes from the same species, much less even the same clutch, will grow exactly the same. Both in potential size, nor the growth rate. Next time you are out among a crowd of people, take notice of all the size differences. Snakes will have no less variability among them.
Definitely true! As she was only ever intended for a pet, I am kind of hoping she stays small. She is so cute.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:21 AM   #18
JackWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Hi there! She does not look to be a sulfur, but actually a butter motley. At 16 grams, she could definitely be eating either a large pinkie every 5 days, or 2 small pinkies, or even a peach fuzzie (not a regular fuzzie just yet). They grow pretty slowly on pinkies, especially if the schedule is longer than 5 days. She may also just be a slow grower. I think you will see a little growth spurt once you move up her feeder size, though.
Thank you very much for your reply! I had the same question, and I was already getting worried, and then I found this thread.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:13 AM   #19
SecretiveFish
Update: She finally broke into the 30+ gram range, but then stopped eating again (it has been several months at this point). In the last month I moved her into a smaller tub with opaque walls to see if for whatever reason she was feeling too stressed to eat but still not eating.

She has been a terrible eater since I got her as a young hatchling and really leaning towards there is something physically off with her at this point. She is 3 years old and the size of an average 1 year old corn snake. My other 5 adult corn snakes are all in the average range for adults...

Old 11-30-2023, 06:43 PM   #20
hypnoctopus
The inconsistent eating is definitely very unusual for a corn. Even non-feeder babies, once you figure out what they want, typically go on to be perfectly fine eaters as adults.

Can you post or link a picture of her? 30 grams at 3 years old is definitely very, very small.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google