CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

snake not eating

Old 04-27-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
g1ang
snake not eating

my snake hasnt eaten for three weeks. he/she has never been a problem feeder...should i try live?

Old 04-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
PtDnsr
It would help if you gave us some more information. Temps, sex and age of your snake...you can also try using the search feature to help and see if there are any threads similar to your situation.

~Katie

Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
MegF.
If it's the snake in your avatar it looks like it's a fairly large snake. It might be a male who's gone off feed in response to breeding season. Mine stopped eating for 3 months, but finally started again. He wasn't even 2 years old either, but he wanted a girl (an early bloomer....I'm so proud!).

Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
g1ang
3 months without eating that seems long? my temps are abit higher now since its summer. my snake is about 3 yrs old he/she never done this before!

Old 04-29-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
MegF.
When they're in breeder mode they can go longer than that sometimes. Someone posted that their's went off food for 6 months. I would get your snake probed, and I would bet that it's a male. If it's an only snake,that might explain why it's taken so long for it to act this way. I have three females (although 2 are very young) to help stimulate my guy into acting that way. Males have been known to go off food even if there's no female around though.....they're guys ya know!

Old 04-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
princess
One of my males just went back 'on' food after being off for 6-7 weeks and he only lost about 25g...he was super active the whole time and has fathered 2 clutches in that time. Last year I had a yearling female go off food for 2 months and then back on with no explination...just happens sometimes. She stayed the same weight but was quite inactive. I still have no explination for that. She's now a gorgeous 2 year old and weighs 415g and will lay in the next week....I'm convinced snakes do these things sometimes just to worry us!!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
MegF.
Mine lost 60 grams, but he stopped as I said for 3 months. He was almost 480 grams to begin with though, so he still looked fine. He's already gained back 30 grams of it.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
dwyn127
My amel stopped eating for 2 months this spring and I "thought" she was a he, so I took her to a herp show where it was determined he was a she and not a he at all...still with me? Her appetite came back just fine. So I guess some females have only one thing on their mind in spring, too. And she's only about 1 1/2 years old and still pretty small. At the rate she's growing, she won't be breeding for 2 more seasons. She must be an early bloomer! That's my girl!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
dirtydog43
My snake hasn't eaten for 4 weeks now and it keeps going around his cage. He will have a path made around the outside perimeter every morning, and he keeps trying to get out. He stretches himself to the top of his cage and pushes on the screen trying to get out. I changed all the substrate and cleaned the cage but he still does it every night. He's about 10 months old and I don't know for sure if it's a he or she.

Any one else have this happen to them?

Old 05-19-2005, 11:53 PM   #10
MegF.
Most probably you have a male and he's in breeder mode. My male did the same thing and went off food for 3 months. They eventually start eating again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google