CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens A collective field guide to the cultivars and cultigens (morphs) of corn snakes.

Charcoal Ghost Corn Snake

Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Rich Z

From my retired SerpenCo.com website.

Quote:

This cultivar is a project I started a few years ago and seemed like a natural thing to do with the Charcoal gene. Ghosts based on the 'A' anerythrism gene have been popular and pleasing looking animals, so there was no reason to doubt that Charcoal Ghosts would be any less and possibly much more so. But what a puzzle they have produced! I have been producing them for a few years now and there is so much variation in the offspring that it has had me rethinking what the Charcoal gene really is. I've gotten some offspring with so much yellow to them that I have to suspect that the axanthism (partially or complete) that we see in the typical Charcoal is not at tied with the actual Charcoal look. So of the Charcoal Ghosts can look like fairly typical 'A' anerythrism based Ghosts whereas others can look like nothing I've ever imagined before out of this project. The one I have used in the photo to represent this cultivar is an astounding animal that is a lavender gray with lemon yellow highlights on the sides of the head and neck. Further, this yellow coloration extends on the dorsal area of the body and extends fully a third of the body length. And since this is a comparative youngster I am REALLY anticipating seeing what it looks like when it reaches full adulthood.

Of course, not all of the Charcoal Ghosts are going to be like the one I have indicated above, and many appear to be more typical of what I had expected out of this project. The yellow coloration (Xanthism) appears to be a wild card for now, and as it seems to be an influence that doesn't show up until a handfull of shed skins have taken place, there is going to be a bit of pot luck involved in how any given individual will turn out as it matures. But this is more the rule than the exception when you are working with corn snakes.

Naturally enough, I am not expecting to sell very many of these this year. Many will probably get marked with the dreaded 'keeper' tag since this is still a project in it's infancy around here. I have become so enthusiastic about this cultivar that I have begun a few more lines using different flavors of Hypomelanism to see what will result.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
GMR_TFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
From my retired SerpenCo.com website.
Would love to see the snake from this particular post. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this would you?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Twolunger
I had some female charcoal ghosts my son gave me from his charcoal project. They had intense yellow from the cheek area to about 1/3 of their body, but mostly on the sides and under. His also carried genes from his original anery A matings. I checked for pictures I took when I was selling the females, but must have deleted them. The intense yellow on a darker corn is quite impressive.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR_TFH View Post
Would love to see the snake from this particular post. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this would you?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I think this is the one I was referring to....

Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
SnakeCreations
So pretty!

Old 06-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
That is gorgeous. I really like how the yellow isn't just on the sides, but is actually on the back saddles as well.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:49 AM   #7
Shiari
So were these the first phantoms then or were they actually platinums with anery a involved as well?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google