CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Staying on the cool side.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
SlinkyTheCornsnake
Staying on the cool side.

I have a baby coral ghost corn snake. He is staying on the cool side of the tank most of the time. This worries me as most thingls I read say it should want to stay on the warmer side. So, I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. The left side of the tank has a heat pad under it. The hide on the left side is kept at a temperature of 80 degrees inside the hide but a thermostat that the pad is plugged into. I also have a ceramic heat lamp above and to the side of the hide that keeps the basking area around 85 degrees. In the center of the tank I have a log hide. That area is generally around 75 degrees. The right side of the tank has another hide and the water dish. Inside that hide is around 72 degrees most of the time and the water is generally 70ish degrees. This is the side he spends most of his time on. I also have a humidifier that keeps the left side (warm side) around 30% humidity. The center is generally 40-45%. And the cooler side is generally 50-55%. I have a humidistat attached to the humidifier to keep it at those percents. I worry because all the things I read say he should want to be on the warmer side. Maybe I'm just being a new worried parent but some help or suggestions would be appreciated. If this is normal I'd also like to know. Don't know if this has anything to do with anything but I use aspen bedding (he loves to borrow in it ) and have some fake leafy vines in there as well as a log. I also use a laser-gun thermometer to make sure temps are kept where they should be. And have a digital temp/humidity gauge in the center of the tank.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like you've got a great setup. My corns typically only use their warm hides when they're actively digesting and otherwise prefer to stay at room temperature. As long as he has small, tight hides in each temperature zone and enough ground cover to feel safe traveling from one hide to the next, he will pick the temperature that he needs.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #3
SlinkyTheCornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like you've got a great setup. My corns typically only use their warm hides when they're actively digesting and otherwise prefer to stay at room temperature. As long as he has small, tight hides in each temperature zone and enough ground cover to feel safe traveling from one hide to the next, he will pick the temperature that he needs.
Thank you. That makes me feel less anxious.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Also, I would love to see a picture of your baby if you feel like sharing!

Old 03-11-2022, 12:19 AM   #5
SlinkyTheCornsnake
Here ya go

Old 03-11-2022, 12:20 AM   #6
SlinkyTheCornsnake
For some reason his pink doesn't show on pics. He loves being handled. Eats very well too. Last meal he had 3 pinkies.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:38 AM   #7
hypnoctopus
Very cute! Pink is absolutely the hardest color to capture on corn snakes!

As a suggestion, if he's able to eat 3 pinkies, he really should move up to the next feeder size. Pinkies don't have much nutrition, so it's better to eat one larger feeder than a bunch of little ones.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #8
SlinkyTheCornsnake
I'll get him a fuzzy today and see how he does with that. Side note he likes to leave me presents right outside his favorite hides entrance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google