CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

new baby okeetee corn snake

Old 07-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #11
Vedica
Socks and common scents!

I have raised hundreds of corns, I have never heard of putting a sock in a snake's cage so it can become accustomed to your smell. These are reptiles, not dogs. They have primitive reptilian brains, and while discerning between food and keeper is something they are quite capable of doing, it has yet to keep me from getting bit by neonates. I fed a newly hatched brood of snakes their first meal this morning, and I was bit no less than a dozen times. While baby corns do not hurt when they bite, they are doing it because they feel threatened, and once they are picked up, especially over the course of a few days, or weeks, they normally calm down. Now, one question I would ask the person who began this thread is, what type of cage do you have your snake in? I would advise that you put the snake in a very small cage for the snake's first 4-6 weeks of life. In the confines of a smaller cage snakes tend to feel more secure. I use large Shedd's Spread butter tubs with a folded paper towl in the bottom with a small water dish ( a 3 litre coke bottle top works fine). After the animal gets established, then transfer it to a larger cage (small Rubbermaid shoeboxes work very well) for young to yearling snakes. The same idea about small sized containers for babies also applies to the size of hide boxes, keep them small so the snake feels secure. Hope this is helpful, leave you socks on your feet--my socks would kill those poor snakes! Hope this has been helpful.
Vedica

Old 07-30-2002, 08:49 PM   #12
BloodyCats
Socks can be good for something else

I had a sock in my amel's enclosure and she likes to curl up in it. Just think, it's the ultimate cozy hide!

Seriously, maybe the snake won't think "mmm, this sock smells like my master," but when they smell "master," won't they recognize it as a familliar scent and therefore maybe not be alarmed by it? I agree the movements and vibrations of being held could still freak the snake out, but at least the smell has a chance of being recognized as something encountered every day in safety.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:46 PM   #13
RaiseD
ok thanks a lot for these great replies!

about the size of my cage its a 24 12 12 so its pretty big for her and her hiding place is a rock with a hole in it but i bought it pretty big so she might not feel that secure in it. I'll try finding her som,ething a little smaller. I'll keep on putting my hand near her so that she can see i dont wanna eat her up and ill hope she'll become more and more calm cause knows there is no way in hell i should take her.

One last thing my little baby is NEVER moving she's always curled up in her hiding spot and never moves unless i raised her hiding spot to see if shes still alive...that kinda scares me is it normal or what?? is she supposed to be more active ? plz help !

Thanks yall,
RaiseD

Old 07-30-2002, 11:59 PM   #14
Alicia
She is most likley moving around after the lights are out and everything is quiet. If you stay up late check on her with a flashlight so you don't have to turn on the room light. They are not very active till they get hungry. I know it looks like they never move sometimes but they do

Old 07-31-2002, 09:31 AM   #15
Katie
I know what you mean about that never moving thing. Lol. For the first month I had my snake I thought there was something wrong with her or with they way I'd set up her cage because I NEVER saw her out of her hide. Now I know better! One night I walked into the room without turning the light on and I could see her trying to scale the walls of her enclosure looking for a way out! Lol. Now I see her all the time, trolling around looking for food or pushing against the sides and top of her cage to see if there's a way out, etc.

Don't worry, I think they just don't move around and explore as much when it's a new home too. She'll get movin eventually.

Old 07-31-2002, 06:54 PM   #16
RaiseD
Ok thank you again for all these infos, im feeling more secure now!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google