CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New to Forum

Old 04-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Ratvan
New to Forum

Greetings All

So a little about me, my name is Matt currently 36 years old and I am living in the Leeds/Bradford area of England. I have a few different hobbies which have lead me to this point where i am looking at picking up my first ever snake and tank set up.

I have been doing as much research as I can over the last month (when i saw the most beautiful baby corn snake in the local pet store while i was shopping for the last fish for my reef tank - a Female Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish if anyone is interested) but obviously have a lot of questions which I hope that i should be able to get some answers these are mostly regarding my plans for the terrarium/vivarium set up.

I will set up a new thread with my questions, hope to speak to you all soon

Old 04-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to post a picture of your tank and fish too!

Old 04-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
Ratvan
Thank you for the welcome, the majority of the Reef is still in its infancy and growing in but I do have a couple fancy shots of the only (at the minute) occupant but currently having issues uploading photographs. He and my other pet (Mantis Shrimp) are on my Instagram @vergis_the_mantis.

Anyways onto the Noodle, so I really like Biotopes and have always made any aquarium that I have owned look and act as close as possible to the natural habitat of the occupant of the tank and I want to do this with the corn snake.

So since it is currently a Baby I have a small grow out tank that I intend to use as not a Quarantine Tank but at the very least observation tank and an enclosure where i can monitor the noodle until the main tank is ready.

The Idea I have is for an Arid Vivarium set up, think an exposed bank where a tree has fallen, so lots of sand, exposed roots, different heights, maybe some plants, lots of places to explore with nooks and crannies. However main question at the moment is, I want to include a water fall as the water feature but i am aware that this could affect the humidity in the tank. Does anyone have a Arid Desert Style Biotope that includes a water fall?

Old 04-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #4
Ratvan
So I currently have my 50cm x 30cm x 30cm QT ta k cleaned up and I have also ordered a larger vivarium and cabinet stand for the long term (120cm × 60cm x 60cm).

I think for the time being that I will leave the waterfall idea alone as checking my natural humidity with the reef tank my house sits at 40-50% naturally so I don't really want to further increase that. I don't want to run a dehumidifier as this will affect the PH of the reef tank.

The long term scaping plans are similar to the photo attached but I hope to be able to make this look more natural then staged. Thankfully with reef keeping I have a large supply of polystyrene, silicone and sands, pebbles, rocks and all sorts of building materials that I can make the scape from.

Just starting to look at heating options and I think I will go for the heat lamp as opposed to the heat mats as these I have used in the past and do not like them and have had several issues in the past with these products. Also I think that it would be cool to have a dedicated basking rock up high under the heat lamp, plus I can hide the bulbs from the display fairly easily. The only real thing that I am unsure about (except the bio active start) is the need for UVB, I can get a full spectrum daylight bulb for lighting but is this actually required.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:20 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
That looks really cool! Might be a pain to get a baby corn out of there if things aren't removable though. As for the uvb, there was a recent study that showed it might have some small benefit, but it's definitely not necessary and in the case of amel-based morphs, it can be damaging, so if you're planning on getting anything with amel in it, I would skip the ubv entirely. Heat lamps will also dry out your enclosure quite a bit, so you'll want to add something like a humid hide or humid area for the snake to go when it needs more humidity. The waterfall idea might help, but the only concern I have with that is that snakes, especially tiny babies, love to find little holes where they can get stuck. I haven't used any waterfalls personally, but I would make 100% sure that any intake/output holes or hoses are inaccessible to the snake.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:05 PM   #6
Caryl
Welcome to the forum! I must say that Swim Shady is beautiful. I taught Marine Biology and Aquatic Science (among other things) for a number of years. I kept assorted things in the classroom including aquaria, but I never had a reef tank. Summers would've been hard on it in too many ways.

Natural tanks are wonderful for corns, and for people looking at them. Definitely do consider, as Olivia mentioned, that your snake will at some point lodge itself into a nook or cranny. It won't be stuck, but you may have a hard time getting it out if you want to for any reason. They can fit into and through amazingly tiny holes.

It sounds like you have the materials and the skills to make the viv beautiful. As you put it together, run your hands in all directions over everything to check for sharp or too-rough spots. Assume your snake is wants to kill itself. Your job is to prevent it from reaching that goal. Sounds extreme, I know, but is a manta which has served me well with many species.

Looking forward to seeing pics as you get your future snake's home put together.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 04-28-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Ratvan
Ok so I am making some progress on this, so far I have purchased a second hand 4 ft vivarium off of a chap from facebook, will need a full deep clean but nothing i cannot manage. I have also picked up a heat lamp, cage, spare ceramic heat bulbs, hygrometer, temperature controller, as well as a spare lock and bung for the vivarium doors.

I have also ordered some substrates, and shortly will be pulling the plug on a CuC Bundle to start off the Bioactive Substrate. I am also off collecting this weekend a series of rocks, gravel and sands possibly also some branches and leaf litter as well. These will all be sanitised before use.

I want to get this live and get it planted as much as possible before I introduce the snake to its new home.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #8
Ratvan
Ok so I am making some progress on this, so far I have purchased a second hand 4 ft vivarium off of a chap from facebook, will need a full deep clean but nothing i cannot manage. I have also picked up a heat lamp, cage, spare ceramic heat bulbs, hygrometer, temperature controller, as well as a spare lock and bung for the vivarium doors.

I have also ordered some substrates, and shortly will be pulling the plug on a CuC Bundle to start off the Bioactive Substrate. I am also off collecting this weekend a series of rocks, gravel and sands possibly also some branches and leaf litter as well. These will all be sanitised before use.

I want to get this live and get it planted as much as possible before I introduce the snake to its new home.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #9
Caryl
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you're going to have a beautiful setup. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google