CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dead Tail?

Old 12-20-2020, 01:16 AM   #1
DangerNoodlesXoXo
Dead Tail?

Hello all, I’m new to the forum obviously, and am still fairly new to owning snakes
I got noodle about a year ago and she’s been a very good eater and has shedded pretty well since. I recently had to move and haven’t been able to keep as close of an eye on her so I missed some stuck shed on the very tip of her tail. When I first saw it about a week ago it looked as if it would just come right off, didn’t think much of it until it was still there. I soaked her in warm water for about 20 minutes and started trying to gently remove it. Upon doing so I noticed the tip was very dark and hard. I have read a couple posts on here that say it’ll fall off within the next shed. She hasn’t gotten to that point yet, so I am reaching out to see if I need to visit a vet for her or if it’ll just do as I read. I also saw some people talking about amputating it, which I personally don’t want to do that and risk causing more damage. Any input would be greatly appreciated, lectures are welcome. Thanks all

Old 12-20-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
DangerNoodlesXoXo
Picture

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Smokey...a-0164604edc5f

Old 12-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
hypnoctopus
Your link says that you have your album set to private.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
DangerNoodlesXoXo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Your link says that you have your album set to private.
It should be set to public now. My bad.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
Yeah, that looks very constricted. I don't think you will be able to save it at this point. I don't think a vet visit is necessary; it will most likely fall off after a few sheds. Don't attempt any amputation yourself - if that becomes necessary, a vet would need to do that for you.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
DangerNoodlesXoXo
Quote:
Yeah, that looks very constricted. I don't think you will be able to save it at this point. I don't think a vet visit is necessary; it will most likely fall off after a few sheds. Don't attempt any amputation yourself - if that becomes necessary, a vet would need to do that for you.
Okay, much appreciated. I will keep a close eye on her. She doesn’t act like it bothers her at all. Still accepts meals pretty well, fingers crossed it comes off with no issues. I will post an update when I get one. She should be going into shed within the next week or two. Is ointment necessary at this point?

Old 12-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
No, I don't think so. If it looks red or irritated after it comes off, you could switch her substrate to paper towels and give her a diluted betadine bath.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
DangerNoodlesXoXo
Quote:
No, I don't think so. If it looks red or irritated after it comes off, you could switch her substrate to paper towels and give her a diluted betadine bath.
Alrighty, I won’t sweat it right now. I’ll go get some betadine ASAP just to keep on hand. I super appreciate the advice.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
hypnoctopus
You're very welcome. Please keep us updated!

Old 12-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
DangerNoodlesXoXo
So after a few days now, the dead part has just fallen off before her shed. It seems to be sealed at the end, so no open wound. I will continue to monitor her behavior and the affected area. Big sigh of relief. I will post pictures the next time I handle her as I already handled her a couple of times today.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google