CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corn snake in the kid's room

Old 03-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
youval_w
Question Corn snake in the kid's room

Is it OK to put the terrarium in my 8 years old kid's room? In terms of the health of the my son.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Yeah that's no worry. With any reptile, the only real concern is the slight possibility of contracting salmonella, so as long as your son washes his hands after handling, he should be fine.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:54 AM   #3
Weiveismart
It’s better not, it may endanger your child’s safety

Old 03-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiveismart View Post
It’s better not, it may endanger your child’s safety
What about it is dangerous?

Old 03-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
LyraFamily
My children had a multitude of reptiles (including corn snakes) in their room when they were growing up and we never had a single issue (though we always practiced good hygiene as hypnoctopus suggested). I believe it really depends on the child (Are they responsible? Can they leave the reptile alone when it needs private time? and so on...) and on the personality of the individual reptile (ie., is it grumpy by nature, mellow, etc?)

Keeping reptiles can be a great way for a child to learn responsibility as well as respect for other living creatures though I believe it’s ultimately the parents’ responsibility to actively supervise the situation and to ensure the reptile is getting proper care. It can also (as is the case for one of my kids) foster a lifelong passion for reptiles (it is also a major factor in her deciding to pursue bio-tech during her time at university).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google