CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

A note about "COME LOOK AT MY SITE" threads....
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 04:56 AM   #31
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_lover2004
I'm sorry but I dont aggree with rich, he didnt have to be rude to him even if he did speek his mind. if you think he was being rude you only added to it by saying that remarke. there are already to to TO many people on here that are sometimes rude to others... some of them were rude to me even.
Just becasue someone was rude to you doesn't mean you should jump on mosdef defense team. I would hardly consider Rich's comment rude. The following comments from mosdef were not only rude but could even be taken as a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef
good bye soo long you selfish prick
Quote:
im sorry, im sure you wont mind you right wingest jerk,
Quote:
im trying to make the cornsnake.com guy mad. grow up, hopefully i will never meet you.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:57 AM   #32
Menhir
I think we don'T have to discuss the "arguments" of poster #1 after Rich started the thread - I think critic is a nice way of conversation and of improving things, but not in that way.

If I should add my 2cc, I think there should be a little distingush between sites where people try to sell things and where people just give information.

To add something to the money site of the discussion, we provide our lexikon (photo gallery) and also calculator and the rest for free. We don't sell animals over this site nor do we something different to earn money. It's all our cost and we provide everything for free. (Having about 250 true visitors/day and nearly 10Gb traffic/month isn't a bad amount for a site without forum and in german)
So, I don't see the reason why you should delete links to sites that provide information for free without damaging anything of your own business.

I would highly recommend to delete "shops" and other commercial sites that just use your site as a free promotion without adding anything to the board. But there are imho lots of people that make YOUR board the way it is - by adding something free for you - their knowledge. And I think it's clear that such a board with all the experts discussing and your pictures in between is one of the best promotions you can have for your business.

So, long story short, if someone adds his knowledge and enthusiasm to make this board "live", he should be able also to get a little promotion and feedback for his own free informational site. Sites that sell animals or stuff should buy bannerspace from you, I think thats quite obvious and thats how business works.

Greetings

P.S.: Just to back me up, this was meant as constructive critics and not as being rude or having an attitude towards something. It's not my board, just my thoughts.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #33
Serpwidgets
I think there's a difference between these situations:

1- Someone posts a thread, "hey guys, we've updated the genetics calculator to reflect the latest discovered genes. (URL)"

2- Someone posts a thread, "hey guys, we've updated the genetics tutorial with new animations and a new section about sex-linked traits. (URL)"

3- Someone posts a thread, "hey guys, I've just completed my new corn site, come check it out! (URL)"

4- Someone posts a thread, "hey guys, I've put up my own forums on my own website, come join the discussion. (URL)"

As I understand it, the first two would be fine, and the last two are the "looky looky" types Rich is talking about. IMO the first two (like Menhir said) add specific value to the conversation here and I'm guessing that Rich would not find these objectionable.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #34
princess
Question

I'm a smidgie-bit confused...Is my signature area OK?

My site is a little creative (read as boredom reducing) outlet for me when I have some spare time on my hands and I have lots of pics and links to another site that hosts pics of pets, a caresheet page, etc. I have never posted a 'Hey dudes, come check out my site' post but I do let people know in my signature area that I do have a site so if they're interested they can come look. I have a 'photo of the week' and a blog and I like to tell people who might care to look at it about things that happen in my snake world and how it makes me extatic, depressed and everything in between.

Mine's a lot smaller scale than Pewter's, I've had about 850 hits since starting it in october last year and I don't have anything as nifty as a genetics calculator or anything like that.

I just want to know that my signature area is kosher and not too extravangant or 'commercial' to be in my sig. Cheers,
Adèle

PS, this post is not meant to lure people to look, I just want to know if this is OK to include in my signature area or not???

Old 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #35
Taceas
Wow..gone for 5 days and miss the whole war. Oh well, no sizeable loss as I see it.

When I first read Rich's request...I thought it simple and straightforward enough. He didn't want the type of posts trying to draw attention elsewhere. Like a certain UK'ers Cornsnake forum that looks like an exact copy of this one (coughs loudly).

And I though maybe Moosed (whatever his name was) was reading it wrong...but he dug himself a hole before he realized what it was actually saying. But at least he took himself out of the population before it got too ugly, yay for Darwin awards!

I think Serp is absolutely right. I see nothing wrong with websites in signatures or even referencing a seperate webpage while in an intellectual conversation if it adds to the facts and data of the post. My own piddly webpage is just a collection of pictures, and most people's here are just the same (just not as piddly). But like Rich, it does annoy me when people just make posts to say "Hey check out my new webpage" and that's all they post.

If people want website checks to make sure everything works, then go to chat and ask the people there to verify it for you. Instant results, rather than waiting for replies, clogging up the board, and getting Rich angry.

Oh well...its Rich's chicken-house, he can rule the roost as he sees fit. Maybe Moosed should go take a look at Kingsucks.com and see how the freedom of speech is applied.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #36
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
I'm a smidgie-bit confused...Is my signature area OK?

PS, this post is not meant to lure people to look, I just want to know if this is OK to include in my signature area or not???
Rich said the signature area is fine

Old 04-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #37
princess
Cheers for that, I don't want to step on toes...

Old 04-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #38
E. g. guttata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
2- Someone posts a thread, "hey guys, we've updated the genetics tutorial with new animations and a new section about sex-linked traits. (URL)"
You have a link on sex-linked traits?? Now I have to go check that out. LOL Who ever thunk (technical term) that I would actually be interested in looking up boring genetics info. I couldn't even stand my genetics class (or the lame gathering of stupid high school students that had a crappy "teacher") in high school for one semester, yet here I am trying to learn it all in one day. LMAO! Thanks Serp, you're giving me the tools to be the ultimate dork. I might even rival you smoe day .

Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #39
Rich Z
I think some of you are missing the point of this. Perhaps an analogy will help understand what I am talking about.

Suppose you set up a party at your place and invite everyone in your neighborhood to stop by. Well the big night of the party comes around and you see a lot of people have stopped by and apparently enjoying themselves. But you notice a couple of the people asking some of your guests to come on over to their own party down the street that they decided to hold at the same time.

It has nothing to do with "competition" in the traditional sense of a business aspect at all. It has everything to do with rudeness and common courtesy. I think just about everyone else being in the position of the initial party host in the analogy mentioned above would feel the same thing about the rudeness of what those other people were doing at your party.

I'm sorry but I didn't set up this site for YOU to advertise your own website. There are ways that you can do that if you choose to do so, but if that is your only purpose for being here, then who is at fault here? Me for not allowing it, or you for your intentions? Do you think it is FAIR for someone to just drop in on this site, post a message asking people to leave here and come to their own site? Heck, I can understand people being excited about setting up their own website and wanting to show it off. But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about doing that. Unfortunately, too many new people getting their own first website really don't have a clue about proper etiquette (or what is commonly called "netiquette") in their enthusiasm to try to seek out visitors.

Sorry, but there is no short cut, and trying to find one by using the equivalent of SPAM on other message boards is not going to endear you to anyone's heart. What it takes to get exposure to your new site is time on the playing field, money to spend on advertising, or both. Those are the avenues I have had to use to get my sites where they are now, and I am sorry, but those are the avenues you will have to consider as well for your own sites. In all the years I have had websites, I cannot recall a single case where I went to someone else's site and posted "Hey, come on over to my website and take a look!".

Sorry if some of you may disagree with my request and the logic behind it, but that is just the way it is going to have to be.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #40
Menhir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I think some of you are missing the point of this. Perhaps an analogy will help understand what I am talking about.

Suppose you set up a party at your place and invite everyone in your neighborhood to stop by. Well the big night of the party comes around and you see a lot of people have stopped by and apparently enjoying themselves. But you notice a couple of the people asking some of your guests to come on over to their own party down the street that they decided to hold at the same time.
And, I hope you don't see this as an offense, I think thats I wrong analogy in your head.
What you describe IS TRUE for commercial sites, boards and other breeders sites. If you look at these sites, your analogy fits excactly the point.

But what about private, non commercial informational sites?
Therefore, I'd like to switch your analogy a little bit and perhaps you'll agree to me:

Rich starts his party and invites everyone to come. But, Rich has also a well known business and a high amount of people that come to his house, also stand positive towards his business. Thats excactly how "commercials" work. But theres nothing with it, cause people on the other hand get a nice party and have a great time, thats the deal I think.
But, there are some people, that like to bring some extra things to this party that can'T get into the house. One brings his new car, one brings his new dog and so on. So, people on your party will from now to then take some minutes to get out and be happy seing the dog or the car - but after that, they'll come in and go on partying.
The point is, that dog or car does neither damage your party, nor it does your business - no, it even makes your party better than it is "hey, remember Richs party - and do you remember Serps Dog? What a great time..."
(...hmmm, in the end, that story got a little childish, doesn't it?

For me, thats whats the big advantage of the internet, you can connect and link knowledge in a fast and easy to navigate way and I think it'll damage your board more, not to allow informational links for new stuff more than it does good for your board or your business.

Just to make that clear again and as I said, your home, your rules and I'll try to respect them as good as I can. These were just my thoughts and the experience I got with the net over the years. Thanx for your reply and that it's possible to discuss such points and trade points of view... I know other boards where rules are made without being even able to talk about them.

Greetings

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread