CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Parasites and Disinfecting Enclosure

Old 09-14-2022, 04:35 AM   #1
KatsuHebi
Unhappy Parasites and Disinfecting Enclosure

Hey guys, I recently got a secondhand tank from someone whose beardie passed away from prolapse. The tank is pretty dirty and it's currently sitting on the first floor of my house. My corn's enclosure is on the second floor. I am trying to get all the cleaning supplies tomorrow but I am pretty paranoid right now.

I washed my hands twice after handling the new tank. A few hours later, I went to change the moss in my corn's humid hide. I realized later that my arm must've made contact with the dirty tank earlier during the day, and I don't know if that means any lingering pathogens might've reinfected my hands.

It may just be me being extremely paranoid, but 1) what are the chances that I might've just introduced an unknown pathogen/parasite to my corn from that interaction? And 2) is it possible for the pathogen/parasite to spread between floors from the tank downstairs assuming no one else touches it until it gets disinfected?

Any insights will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 09-14-2022, 07:25 AM   #2
67temp
Welcome to the forum.

Without really knowing what the beardie had or how long the tank had been sitting and in what conditions its hard to say if it's contaminated or not. Some things can just be taken out with simple bleach or chlorhexidine. While other pathogens require very harsh chemicals such as concentrated peroxide and UV exposure.

While it is highly unlikely for anything to pass between floors it is possible. Phorid flies are a keepers worst nightmare and can easily spread stuff.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
KatsuHebi
Thank you!

I grabbed some chlorhexidine and hopefully after thorough scrubbing and letting it out in the sun, it will get rid of whatever pathogens are in it.

Thanks for reminding me about phorid flies! Just as you mentioned it, I noticed one buzzing around on the same floor where the tank is currently kept (it should be gone now). I decided to keep the doors leading to my corn's enclosure shut now to keep flies away. Really appreciate the insights!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
care, enclosure, parasites, pathogens