CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 06-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #181
inu009
Turns out I can tell the difference between males and females by holding them up in the light, its just all the one I checked in the beginning were females lol.

I brained all the pinky's for the first meal. Second round is tomorrow for the first group and I won't brain them, here's to hoping they all still eat.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #182
Caryl
Heh heh heh... all good plans are flexible plans! After all, you made that plan with incomplete info. You didn't expect any Motley babies. Seriously though, you don't have to make a rock-solid decision immediately. You can hang onto your top few for a while and decide as they grow and change. I'm pretty sure that most of us have done that at some point.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #183
inu009
Yeah! I'm definitely hanging on to a few, there is another mystery at hand. I noticed some red-ish bellies and ultimately came to the conclusion, Ozy may have passed red coat/factor to some of his children

Name:  IMG_5027.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5028.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  45.6 KB

Today was the start of third round of feedings, and it's funny how they're still scared of the pinkies...like we've been through this already, eat lol.

So far have 1 baby who's not a good eater, second meal had to be brained for it to eat, and this time not even that worked. I'm going to switch his feeding group and try again in a few days.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #184
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by inu009 View Post
Yeah! I'm definitely hanging on to a few, there is another mystery at hand. I noticed some red-ish bellies and ultimately came to the conclusion, Ozy may have passed red coat/factor to some of his children...
You do know that, having mentioned a new mystery, you're obligated to share pics of same, right? Gotta keep your picture taxes paid.

Red Coat is a typical recessive trait, so it only appears if both parents have it in at least a het dorm to pass along. It's not all that widely distributed. It's not impossible that both of your adults were carrying it, but it's not super likely either.

Red Factor is incompletely dominant, and is therefore visible if it present; there is no hidden Red Factor. It presents differently in het and homo forms, with the latter more intense. If Ozy has Red Factor, he may have passed it to his babies. If he did, it will show. In hatchlings it's usually most visible near the head. It becomes stronger and more defined as they continue to grow and shed.

So, yeah. Pics please. Lots of pics. We love pics!

Old 07-10-2022, 09:14 PM   #185
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
You do know that, having mentioned a new mystery, you're obligated to share pics of same, right? Gotta keep your picture taxes paid.

Red Coat is a typical recessive trait, so it only appears if both parents have it in at least a het dorm to pass along. It's not all that widely distributed. It's not impossible that both of your adults were carrying it, but it's not super likely either.

Red Factor is incompletely dominant, and is therefore visible if it present; there is no hidden Red Factor. It presents differently in het and homo forms, with the latter more intense. If Ozy has Red Factor, he may have passed it to his babies. If he did, it will show. In hatchlings it's usually most visible near the head. It becomes stronger and more defined as they continue to grow and shed.

So, yeah. Pics please. Lots of pics. We love pics!

oooh okay, I knew Red Factor was incomplete Dom, but wasn't sure about RC. Bloodred/Diffused is a can of worms since was sold to me as a fire, I dont know if he's a "true" bloodred w/ RF or just Diffused + Mask

We're starting second sheds! Afterwards, I'm going to get a Lightbox to take some good/color accurate pics.

Now that I've been handling the babies I've noticed like 4 of them have missing scales on their noses. Otherwise they're fine? So weird.

This is the "worst" example of the bunch.
Name:  IMG_5103.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  74.0 KB

Old 07-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #186
Caryl
Sorry for delay. Life has been a bit more chaotic than usual.

I'm seeing a pretty Amel in the picture. I'm not necessarily seeing Red Factor, but I'm not necessarily not seeing it either. Red Factor typically becomes more intense as the snake grows. It can be difficult to distinguish between individual variations in Amel-based or Strawberry- based morphs and actual Red Factor.

I'm not sure what's happening with the baby's missing scale. It's odd. Kinda looks like it had a rough shed and pulled it off but that usually happens with scales further back on the head before in this location.

Typically corns have two scales between the nostrils. This picture looks like the baby does have two but they don't connect. I don't believe it has lost a scale. It really looks to me like its scales on the sides of the area in question just don't extend all the way to the center.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #187
Caryl
Just wondering, did you get a light box? If so, which and how do you like it? I had thought about getting one and haven't.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:37 PM   #188
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Just wondering, did you get a light box? If so, which and how do you like it? I had thought about getting one and haven't.

No, not yet! I'm just going to get one on amazon, nothing fancy lol

I've been meaning to post this for two weeks now, but it was nice to get this shot of everyone before the move.

Name:  IMG_5210 3.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  59.1 KB

Old 08-16-2022, 08:50 PM   #189
inu009
I was on day 74 on that second clutch, and it was starting to develop mold. White mold, which I think usually means just too much moisture. But I took it as a sign to cut anyway, and all 3 were fully developed, but DIE. I didn't have much hope in this second clutch anyway, but it was a bit disappointing, still sad to see stillborn babies.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #190
Caryl
Aww, I'm sorry your second clutch didn't hatch for you. That's a sad thing to see. Still, you've had a great first year over all!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google