CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

kinks

Old 08-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #11
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
I just don't get it. Over the last 10 years I keep getting a lot of kinks in my clutches every year. I tried coco fiber this year on all but 2 of the clutches. Maybe The Sphagnum moss was contaminated ??? IDK whats up I never had problems before.
One clutched hatched 1/2 coco fiber 1/2 Sphagnum moss. out of 9 eggs 7 kinks one perfect and one still in the egg.I got a clutch that went all bad except for one egg. That one is on the 50/50 mix the rest are all on pure coco fiber. One of the clutches that on pure coco fiber is hatching today . I hope they are all fine and the problem was the Sphagnum moss.

Temps were between 76 to 84 it only went up to 84 a few times and not very long. It stayed between 76 to 82 most of the time In the past I would have clutches in 76 to 86 with almost no problems I just don't get it. I see people hatch perfect clutches from 74 to 90 with no problems
Do you have a minimum/maximum recording thermometer in the incubator?

Reason I ask is a long time ago when Connie first started working with the leopard geckos, someone loaned us an incubator because he wanted us to try to manipulate the incubating temperatures to influence the sex of the hatchlings. Just on a whim, I set it up and put in a min/max thermometer and just left it running for a few days. Well at sometime(s) during that period, his thermostat had temporarily failed, then righted itself. Just looking at the temperature display itself, you would think everything was going along just fine. But the min/max thermometer showed that the high temp had reached 120 degrees inside that box at least once. So had we used that incubator, likely BAD things would have happened to the eggs, and we wouldn't have had any idea about what went wrong.

Anyway, just an idea. Might not apply to your circumstance, but anyone reading this needs to keep in mind that thermostats DO fail. And you likely won't get any warning beforehand.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:53 PM   #12
Vinman
I got way better results with the coco fiber. in this clutch the next one is hatching and I will see what the results are

Old 08-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #13
Caryl
Glad to hear you had better results on the coco fiber! I hope the next clutch brings more good news.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 08-30-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
Vinman
I only had 2 with a very slight kink. I think it insolates the egg better . So far only one can out of the next clutch to hatch and that one was perfect . I hope the rest come out like that

Thanx for the kind words

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google