CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Alrighty, what have we here?

Old 08-29-2023, 10:38 AM   #1
hypnoctopus
Alrighty, what have we here?

This year I paired my female amel, Sparrow, to my my male lavender motley, Periwinkle.

Mom was sold as an amel het anery, lavender, diffused, hypo or strawberry, ph motley. I believe Sparrow is also red factor.

Dad was sold as lavender motley, with no hets listed. Dad was unremarkable as a hatchling, but matured into a very purple and pink snake.

Here are some pics.

Their clutch this year was mostly slugs, but 3 of the eggs were good and made it to hatching. Here are the three hatchlings, Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, after their first shed.

Blynken. I'm thinking possibly moonstone?

Wynken, much more color than I'd expect from a hatchling lavender, but also looks nothing like her father did as a hatchling and he's now very colorful:

And then last is Nod. She hatched out looking not exactly like a standard anery, but after her first shed, now looks just like you'd expect a regular anery to look. But what's weird is that her shed had almost no melanin. So I'm not totally sure what to think about her either.

Nod:

More pics in the next post.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Nod, continued:

Let me know your thoughts! This is my first time hatching lavenders, but I've seen plenty of pics of others'. I don't have much experience with strawberry, so I'm wondering if maybe that's what's causing some of these colors?

Old 08-29-2023, 11:52 PM   #3
Caryl
Such beautiful and interesting babies! I've yet to hatch Lavenders though I've grown a few. Looking back at baby pics and thinking about how some of mine looked when they were small, I agree than Wynken is a lovely Moonstone. Wynken looks a lot like my Moonstone Masque (Galahad) as a baby. Blynken reminds me of my Strawberry Lavender (Purple Wonder; it's a strawberry cultivar, lol) though she's also Motley and Diffused so she's also got some differences. Nod's atypical-for-Anery sheds are quite curious. I know that Galahad's sheds are very light on melanin now. I have no idea if that's typical for Moonstones, though. I honestly don't recall for certain what his sheds were like two years ago. Maybe Nod is a currently very dark Moonstone?

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2023, 11:58 PM   #4
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Such beautiful and interesting babies! I've yet to hatch Lavenders though I've grown a few. Looking back at baby pics and thinking about how some of mine looked when they were small, I agree than Wynken is a lovely Moonstone. Wynken looks a lot like my Moonstone Masque (Galahad) as a baby. Blynken reminds me of my Strawberry Lavender....

I'm sorry Olivia, it's late and I mixed up names. I couldn't see the names/posts when I was replying. I was thinking of the poem and put the names in its order. Blynken was the one you listed first and IDed as a Moonstone, which looks right to me. Wynken is the one who looks like a Strawberry Lavender. I mean to say that I agree on the first Moonstone and I hope I've gotten it right this time!

Old 08-30-2023, 12:07 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
Ha, no worries. I thought it was a cute name theme but I keep getting them mixed up myself!

I am planning on holding back all three to see what happens with them as they grow, so maybe more visual changes are in store for Nod?

Do you think it's possible that the mom, Sparrow, is a strawberry amel rather than or in addition to red factor? I just don't know if strawberry has that added red effect for amels.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:13 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Or maybe dad is a strawberry lavender motley and mom is het strawberry?

Old 08-30-2023, 12:38 AM   #7
Caryl
It is a cute name theme.
Looking at Sparrow and thinking about her younger pics, I think you're correct that she's possibly RF Amel, and based on her baby, I would say at least het Strawberry. I don't know about Strawberry Amels being more red. I have only one and he seems pretty typically Amel, though he seems to be Halo, too. He's nowhere nearly as red as Sparrow.

It's maybe a thought for another thread, but I don't think we fully understand Strawberry. We know how it's inherited, yes. But it isn't simply a hypo-type melanin reducer. It adds color, too, even when not combined with another red enhancer. I don't know how to visually ID a Strawberry Amel, though.

I was looking at Periwinkle again before I read your reply. There aren't many Strawberry Lavenders around, and fewer adults. But I think you may well have one.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:49 AM   #8
Caryl
Here are some comparison pics of my Strawberry Lavender Diffused Motley. Her colors are quite challenging to catch, as I know you know with Lavenders.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:18 AM   #9
hypnoctopus
She does have a lot of pink!

Old 08-30-2023, 01:36 AM   #10
hypnoctopus
These three strawberry lavenders really don't help clear things up! Haha, they all have very different coloration.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google