CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Places To Buy Slugs?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
pridecity
Places To Buy Slugs?

I'm trying to expand out my feeder bug collection. I'm sure there are several of my reptiles who would love to have some slugs, especially my turtles. Because both of my turtles are native to Colorado, I'm looking for local species if possible. I'm looking more specifically for Agriolimax reticulatus, the Grey Garden slug.

Does anyone know where I can find live slugs for feeders? If a place sells Agriolimax reticulatus, that would be great. I really don't want to have to find some from the wild because of risk of pesticides and, frankly, I've never seen a slug here in my life.

Also, do you think bearded dragons and leopard geckos could eat slugs?

On further research, Deroceras reticulatum would also work.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
cobained
no idea where you'd get them, but just thought it was a funny topic. how many people can you talk to about buying slugs? (o:

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
pridecity
Tell me about it. No matter the search terms on Google, the results are always pest control. Not helpful. Lol.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Dustilyn
I'm your neighbor and have one place in my yard that gets full of slugs! I haven't weed sprayed the lawn for a couple years, but still don't know that I'd risk feeding them. Can you breed wild caught and feed the young?????

Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Nanci
That's what I was going to say- catch some and breed.

I have them in my yard and fed them to boxies for years without any problems, with pest control _right_ in my yard, _but_ I didn't send any to Meg when she was looking for them for her snail-eating snake, because I'd hate to be the person who killed the snake...

Old 06-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
pridecity
I'm not set up for them yet, so I guess I have a few days to think about it. I did discover that my Ornate like earthworms. I'm trying to get them to live in the pool with her, but they keep dying. I'm spending today trying to fix that.

As far as breeding, I guess I'll have to look up how to do that. I'm just not sure where I should be looking for the little critters. I'm next to a park but they spray like heck there. I also live next to railroad tracks, but not sure if that's the best place to look either.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Nanci
Look anywhere that has automatic sprinklers on in the very early morning. At my house, they are close to the house, near the gardens, never out away from things. Short grass.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
pridecity
I guess I just expect it to be like in North Carolina where it's basically "step step crunch" as far as slugs and snails go. Though, I suppose a slug would be "step step squish". I used to hate going outside after a rain because I felt like I was committing genocide. All I heard was "step crunch crunch squish step".

I can think of only one person who has an automatic sprinkler and I don't think he'd appreciate me nosing around in his yard. The park has some, but again I'm wary. Maybe I'll stalk the foundation tomorrow.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Nanci
Look when there is dew on the ground.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Michael823
I would definitely look into collecting and breeding some. I know that I can go out and find dozens just by flipping old logs and boards, so you could probably find a great little colony to start with that way too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google