CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Indy Reptile Expo Anybody?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
morgan.mac814
Indy Reptile Expo Anybody?

Has anyone been to the Midwest Reptile Expo in Indianapolis? I'm going down there on the 20th and really don't know what to expect. I've never been to a reptile expo before, but I've been to the Outdoor Sports Show and the Hoosier Horse Fair, so I figured it might be something like those. I read the post by KYGirl about an expo in Kentucky, but I figure an expo in Indy would draw a more diverse group of vendors.

Anyway, I was just looking to buy another corn, maybe a butter, and pick up some frozen feeders. Just wondering how it's going to look and what I'm looking at as a buyer.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Joba
IDK. I went to the reptile expo in Mesa and it was great. A month later went to the Repticon expo in Phoenix and it was really small and hardly anybody there, only one booth selling supplies, etc. They should have a website with a list of vendors that you could check out.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Carpe Serpentis
I used to live in Indianapolis with that being said I never made it to the expo there so I can't tell you, but I sure as heck wouldn't miss it now if I had it to do over again unless work got in the way. Indiana is such a big city, I can't imagine it not having an awesome expo.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Geminiluna
Yes I go to the Midwest Reptile Show at the Indy Fairgrounds (customer, not vendor) and will be there browsing again on the 20th. The Indianapolis show will be confined to just one of the smaller buildings at the fairground, with vendors set up at their tables with their available reptiles/products display. You will have to pay separate parking from the show entry fee though. I think it may have been $5 for fairground parking and then the $5 show entry fee. I met some very wonderful vendors there who really enjoyed talking about the animals they produce - seems that's most of the fun of going is just seeing and learning. (Leave your coat in the car because it gets crowded and hot in there with all the heat lamps and bodies bustling around the tables!)

Here's the website for the Indy show - they have a vendor list.
http://www.midwestreptile.com/welcome.php

You should have no problem finding live or frozen feeders, and no end to corn snakes, ball pythons, boas, etc. Plus dry goods, etc.

There's also the much smaller Noblesville show on first Sunday of the month at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds (next is Jan 6), and one I haven't been to yet is the Fort Wayne show (next is Jan 5). You will also be able to find livbe and frozen feeders at the Noblesville show if you choose to go. $6 entry fee at Noblesville, but free parking. (I got frozen rat feeders there and didn't pay attention specifically to frozen mouse feeders, but pretty sure I saw a customer walking away with a bag of frozen pinks.)

Here's the website with the schedule for the Noblesville/Fort Wayne (and other locations) shows:
http://indianareptileexpo.com/

I might go again to Noblesville on the 6th, but not sure.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
morgan.mac814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminiluna View Post
Yes I go to the Midwest Reptile Show at the Indy Fairgrounds (customer, not vendor) and will be there browsing again on the 20th. The Indianapolis show will be confined to just one of the smaller buildings at the fairground, with vendors set up at their tables with their available reptiles/products display. You will have to pay separate parking from the show entry fee though. I think it may have been $5 for fairground parking and then the $5 show entry fee. I met some very wonderful vendors there who really enjoyed talking about the animals they produce - seems that's most of the fun of going is just seeing and learning. (Leave your coat in the car because it gets crowded and hot in there with all the heat lamps and bodies bustling around the tables!)

Here's the website for the Indy show - they have a vendor list.
http://www.midwestreptile.com/welcome.php

You should have no problem finding live or frozen feeders, and no end to corn snakes, ball pythons, boas, etc. Plus dry goods, etc.

There's also the much smaller Noblesville show on first Sunday of the month at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds (next is Jan 6), and one I haven't been to yet is the Fort Wayne show (next is Jan 5). You will also be able to find livbe and frozen feeders at the Noblesville show if you choose to go. $6 entry fee at Noblesville, but free parking. (I got frozen rat feeders there and didn't pay attention specifically to frozen mouse feeders, but pretty sure I saw a customer walking away with a bag of frozen pinks.)

Here's the website with the schedule for the Noblesville/Fort Wayne (and other locations) shows:
http://indianareptileexpo.com/

I might go again to Noblesville on the 6th, but not sure.
Thanks for the info! I never would have thought about leaving my coat in the car, and I would hate to carry it around. And I was hoping there would be a lot of snakees, how are the prices for the corns? And are they all hatchings? I might go check out the one in Fort Wayne now that you mention it. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Geminiluna
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan.mac814 View Post
And I was hoping there would be a lot of snakees, how are the prices for the corns? And are they all hatchings? I might go check out the one in Fort Wayne now that you mention it. Thanks for the link!
Oh yes, if Indianapolis is like the previous Indy shows, there will be countless snakes to look at. If Southern Indiana Reptiles (SIR) are there at the Indy show again, they'll likely have bulk aspen and sani-chips for better than pet-store prices if you keep yours on bedding. If you go to Ft Wayne and don't see anything you like, don't get discouraged. My guess is it will be much smaller than Indy since it's hosted by the same group that puts on the Noblesville show.

Unfortunately, I am "morph ignorant" and was there looking for ball pythons so the corns didn't really stick in my mind. But I did browse corns at a few tables and noticed overwhelmingly that they were hatchlings for sale. I don't recall seeing any yearlings/adults for sale, but may not have noticed them. $30 to $60 seemed to be a common price range. I just remember thinking both shows had some adorable looking little corn snakes, and for the price, would have been easy to walk out with a couple at least. (And I may yet do that at this next show!)

Can't wait to hear what you think about the shows if you go! Just be sure to ask the same questions you'd expect to have answered from any reputable breeder. And ask them if they produced the snakes, themselves. Some vendors may be reselling animals they didn't produce, and not have any detailed hatching/care/feeding/shed/weight records, etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
morgan.mac814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminiluna View Post
Oh yes, if Indianapolis is like the previous Indy shows, there will be countless snakes to look at. If Southern Indiana Reptiles (SIR) are there at the Indy show again, they'll likely have bulk aspen and sani-chips for better than pet-store prices if you keep yours on bedding. If you go to Ft Wayne and don't see anything you like, don't get discouraged. My guess is it will be much smaller than Indy since it's hosted by the same group that puts on the Noblesville show.

Unfortunately, I am "morph ignorant" and was there looking for ball pythons so the corns didn't really stick in my mind. But I did browse corns at a few tables and noticed overwhelmingly that they were hatchlings for sale. I don't recall seeing any yearlings/adults for sale, but may not have noticed them. $30 to $60 seemed to be a common price range. I just remember thinking both shows had some adorable looking little corn snakes, and for the price, would have been easy to walk out with a couple at least. (And I may yet do that at this next show!)

Can't wait to hear what you think about the shows if you go! Just be sure to ask the same questions you'd expect to have answered from any reputable breeder. And ask them if they produced the snakes, themselves. Some vendors may be reselling animals they didn't produce, and not have any detailed hatching/care/feeding/shed/weight records, etc.
Thanks for the insight, I'll definately keep it posted if I go. I know I am for sure going down to Indy, but not certain about going out to Fort Wayne yet. I'll make sure I take a bunch of pictures and ask a lot of questions! Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google