CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

possible second corn snake?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Distaff
possible second corn snake?

Been wanting another for a while, and I can swing the funds for a 36X18X18 Exo Terra. (Obviously, not necessary - but, I like them). Have an extra UTH, and extra RHP, LED (for plants), and a Hydrofarm T-stat.

That spare t-stat should be upgraded. A Vivarium Electronics that regulates both heat sources VE300-2 (?) is $195. I have a VE200 on my corn snake's UTH. Nevertheless, he almost never uses that warm hide (T-stat set at 85F, and air temp in hide is 81F). Instead, he basks on a ledge under the unregulated RHP. The thermometer near that spot - a couple inches farther away, reads 72F. The highest reading I get from a temp gun on the surface of the snake itself, is 86F.

Not sure. There is plenty of time. Repstylin had a lovely female lavender, but it looks like she sold (I don't know what the price was, so that gal may not have even been in my budget).

Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 AM   #2
HerpsOfNM
If you're looking for a 2nd corn, check with a lady named Donna Hoidahl. Donna's getting up there in years, but I got my first corn from her back in 1996. She's out in Tulie as well and if she's still doing them, can usually be found at the Alameda Park Zoo for snake shows.

I think he got out of herps, but you might also try a gentleman named John Julian. He's a vet tech out at Ark Animal Hospital in Alamogordo, assuming he's still in Alamo. I don't recall John working with corns, but he might know of locals in that area (Alamo, Cruces, El Paso) that do.

You may also try a gentleman out at the Las Cruces Museum of Nature & Science - Rich Quick. He took over my Museum Naturalist position in 2009 when I left the museum. He breeds a few things and may know of some people locally that do corns. He'd probably be the better lead for that than the others I've mentioned.

As for your thermostat, have you thought about trying HerpStats? I've not used the VE units, but I've been extremely pleased with my HerpStats for accuracy. My best unit is an older HerpStat ND II that I use to power my incubator.

And since I'm here, I was trying to source a 18x18x18 Exo Terra last week for a day gecko species I work with. Finding those, as well as 36x18x18 has been rather difficult apparently. And with you being in the Alamo-Tulie area, I don't think there's much going for you locally unless you want to shoot down 54 to El Paso or 70 over to Cruces.

Chris
P.S. Go Tigers

Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
DollysMom
At least around here the 36x18x18 ExoTerra is always in stock at PetSmart. Also, you can order online for in store pickup.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Distaff
Wow. Small world.

Re. the first Exo, I *simply* ordered it from Amazon. Took a month to finally arrive, three separate stated delivery dates that I stayed home for... It seems the first delivery disappeared somewhere.

It finally came by 18 wheeler. They call you: you need to be home, and the driver was concerned that our little residential street was going to be too tight for his truck. (GPS occasionally mis-routs even bigger trucks down our street...all the low hanging cables and wires have already been stripped by those trucks so, I assured him it would be ok, and it was.) By this time, the whole thing just felt like bad juju, and I fully expected the Exo to arrive damaged.

It was fine. Love it.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Distaff
Yeah, the Herpstat seems to be the more popular choice. I got started with the VE before I knew that (and FWIW, I much prefer the way the VE looks). I'm used to how the VE works, and am happy with the one I have. May live to regret that decision (the VE thermometer/hygro's turned out to not be a good choice).

HerpsofNM, thank you for those contacts. I will look into them, and see what is available locally.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Dragonling
Let me add a few online resources as well, if you haven't already been looking at them:

kingsnake.com
faunaclassifieds.com
Facebook - Corn Snake Classifieds
Facebook - Corn Snakes for Sale
Facebook - Corn Snake Auctions
Facebook - Colubrid Classifieds
iHerp.com
and of course the cornsnakes.com classifieds

I also keep my eye on Don's surplus animals at https://www.cornsnake.net

On iHerp, I tend to look through morph galleries and look for sale prices in the animals names or look at the collections of breeders with several snakes listed in a single gallery. Many times they have a "For Sale" section. Same goes for breeder pages on Facebook. Kingsnake.com has probably been my best resource for finding very unusual animals for good prices. You can probably find something really awesome that fits in your budget if you look hard enough.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Distaff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Let me add a few online resources as well, if you haven't already been looking at them:

kingsnake.com
faunaclassifieds.com
Facebook - Corn Snake Classifieds
Facebook - Corn Snakes for Sale
Facebook - Corn Snake Auctions
Facebook - Colubrid Classifieds
iHerp.com
and of course the cornsnakes.com classifieds

I also keep my eye on Don's surplus animals at https://www.cornsnake.net

On iHerp, I tend to look through morph galleries and look for sale prices in the animals names or look at the collections of breeders with several snakes listed in a single gallery. Many times they have a "For Sale" section. Same goes for breeder pages on Facebook. Kingsnake.com has probably been my best resource for finding very unusual animals for good prices. You can probably find something really awesome that fits in your budget if you look hard enough.
Thanks.

I spend a lot of time on Kingsnake.com. Fauna is a big site, but I'll occasionally peek around in there. Don has had a juvie on his site for months, that I go back to frequently. Beautiful animal, good price..Why hasn't it sold?? If I didn't have my current snake, I would have snapped up that one a long time ago.

I don't have an account with Facebook, so I don't get far with the pages that require log-ins.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distaff View Post
Don has had a juvie on his site for months, that I go back to frequently. Beautiful animal, good price..Why hasn't it sold?? If I didn't have my current snake, I would have snapped up that one a long time ago.
I know exactly what you mean. I've thought that about several of the corns I've recently bought. There were quite a few more I would buy if I had the cash and space and am often shocked to find them still for sale. Most do eventually disappear though, the right buyer just had to find them. When I decided to set up for breeding and started looking for adults, the first place I went was SMR to see if the peach lavender motley he had posted on Snake of the Day a while back was still there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google