CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Thinking about starting a single mouse colony - tips?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
hypnoctopus
Thinking about starting a single mouse colony - tips?

I've always adored rodents and I'm thinking about starting a single colony to supplement my feeder supply. Ideally the adults in the colony would be basically pets and then I would use their babies as feeders. I've never kept live mice before, so this is just the very beginning stages of my research.

Can I keep one male with 3 females? I've watched a few videos that have a 1 to 5 or 1 to 6 ratio, but I assume that's for maximum production. I don't know if I would want to start off with that many, so is there any reason I couldn't do a lower number? Like will the male harass the females too much?

Can I keep them in my bedroom or will the smell be too horrible? How often would they need to be cleaned to keep the smell down? Can I house them in a 20 gallon tank or is that too small?

I would love to be able to keep them in the garage, but I live in Arizona where the summer temps in the garage easily exceed 100 degrees, so I'm assuming that would be too hot for them?

Thanks for any pointers!