CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Colony rejecting their male???

Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
Lore
Colony rejecting their male???

OK... so I just started my first Colony a few weeks ago, my females are just starting to look plumper, well... some of em are. There are 4 females and 1 male.

Anyway, last night as I was about to go to bed, I stopped by the mouse cage to notice the male looking odd with a weird lump to the side of his mouth and a weird scabby lump on the top of his head that one of the females kept coming by and chewing on, he'd jump but wouldn't run away from her chewing on his head!

Did they do this to him? Yikes, I had no idea there'd be such drama in a mouse colony

Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
terrysangel79
Thumbs up

I would bet on it some times they just don't get along at all. we have even had them kill the male and eat him. Some of them ladies can be real picky.But if you get some pinks keep a male to put in that grope they should leave him alone good luck.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
DAND
If they are gravid and he persists he will get his butt kicked.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
GHostCornSnake
if they dont like them i would just feed him to one of the corns.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Lore
I ended up culling the male and getting a new one, then I found the culprit, a female that immediately attacked the new male, the same female that chewed the other males head, I culled her too, now they lay to rest in the freezer to become some good meals in a few days LOL!

The new male is doing great with his females and I now have a harmonious colony... finally. I had no idea how tough this would be.

Now if only I'd get some babies coming! I have only 1 obvious fat one...

Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Eremita
It sounds oddly satisfying to be judge and executioner like that (not being ironic), setting up a little rodent community and making sure it operates harmoniously at any cost. I doubt the wife would be into it, though...

-Sean

Old 10-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma
It sounds oddly satisfying to be judge and executioner like that (not being ironic), setting up a little rodent community and making sure it operates harmoniously at any cost. I doubt the wife would be into it, though...

-Sean
The husband was quite saddened by it Suprisingly I had no problem doing the deed then packing them up and putting them in the freezer with the rest of the frozen meals.

I guess its cause I know they are not going to be wasted, they'll make nice dinners.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Hillarious
sometimes it really helps if you give the place a good cleaning before introducing new mice to existing territory. And I have seen mice pick at any other member with a slight injury...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google